wAug 30, 2007


Nearing the end of summer

Does anyone else just feel sorry for Senator Craig? I mean, he obviously has repressive issues, to seek out intimate connections in an airport bathroom. There must be lots of self-hatred there, too, with all his work for anti-gay legislation. What a sad existence, :(

I finished watching what I will assume is only the first season of the anime NANA (the manga is still on-going, and nothing really got wrapped up). Wow, what a poignant ending. Also, the flash-forward has me extremely worried, as to the person who is not there!! But yeah. The NANA manga is also awesome (exact same storyline as the anime), but watching it with color and listening to the amazing music just makes the show awesome. At times, I feel silly because it's so soap opera-ish, but then the characters will say something so profound that details exactly the same feelings that I have felt before. It's hard to put into words how this show makes me feel, but it was similar to what Honey & Clover did for me. I highly, highly recommend watching NANA. As with Honey & Clover, I feel that even someone who doesn't regularly watch anime would like this show. I'm dying to know what happens now, though....I might have to start downloading manga chapters.

My week of non-work continues. Yesterday, I cleaned a lot, including the floors of both of my closets. More posters were hung up today and yesterday....maybe I'll take new pictures of my room. It has changed since I moved in one year ago. I also did laundry today, which was exciting. Tonight, Anime Club had another organizational meeting before the semester begins, and I feel happy with it. We're really trying to restructure the Club to encourage the members to be social and involved. If you are a student at UW, or a faculty member (and I know some of you on my LJ Friends List are!!), you should come some time, if you like anime or are interested in trying it. It's neat stuff, and we have some good ideas for the semester's social activities.

Chad (my roommate and friend since birth) is starting his first year of Law School at UW this year, so I get to live vicariously through him. "I think you should do it," he said about Law School after this first day of Orientation, when he was all excited about making friends and meeting neat professors. "If I'm basing my life off of your experience, I think I'll wait until you've had at least a week of classes, and then we'll talk again," I quip.

I went to Antoine's for a while last night, and we did one of my favorite things, which is reading on the couch together. I just picked up Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping, and it's extremely interesting so far. Did you know that while the United States only accounts for 4.5% of the world population, we use 24% of its resources, and emit 23% of greenhouse gases?? How about that 78% of people say that Americans are "very materialistic," but only 8% consider themselves to be materialistic? Disgusting! In some ways, dating Antoine has shown me how materialistic I am. I remember doing a double-take when I realized that he owned no DVDs (at least, none that I have seen). Even now, as I cast my eyes around my room for things I own that Antoine doesn't, I mentally justify everything. "I have six kinds of lotion on my dresser, but I NEED them....I have over 100 books here, not to mention about 200 at home, but I can't bear to part with them!" Maybe reading this book will give me a little perspective.
Antoine read nearly an entire volume of Tramps Like Us manga over my shoulder, and he found it as amusing as I do. I highly recommend it, but pay attention to the "Older Teen" warning on the back cover - it is not for little kids!

Tomorrow's goal is to take the car out and buy some random toiletries that are needed, and possibly a bookshelf if I can find one. And then, I'll meet my work friends at the Silver Dollar for the Packer game, and laugh at them because they worked all week, and I didn't.

It feels like this summer has been a dream and I'm only waking up now. I have a planner, and am making plans in it. The Daily Cardinal is in print again. I am feeling creative. I haven't written anything yet, but I generally take it as a good sign when I think about my characters constantly.

Lastly, I love this blog.

Labels: , , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 10:15 AM
2 comments
2 Comments:

In regards to Senator Craig: *Cackles* Looks like we have a newly outed queen on our hands. It is really sad. I couldn't have said it better myself.

In regards to law school: Wish Chad the best.

In regards to the blog: That was awesome!

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:36 PM, August 30, 2007  

This book, "Not Buying It" must be pretty good if it can turn my odd quirks into endearing personality traits ^_^

By Blogger Antoine, at 11:03 AM, September 02, 2007  

Post a Comment