wNov 17, 2004


My Purpose for Writing and Your Purpose for Reading

This post is the result of conversations I have had with two people. Firstly, what is my purpose in having a blog? I had a blog before any of you whores did. When I first made a blog, it was because I was a member of the messageboard called WOFS (Watch Out For Snakes!). I read Kell's blog and I thought it was really cool. So I decided, "hey, blogs are cool, I want one!" And so, in August of 2001, I created one. So, the short answer is that my blog was created as a hobby for a writing fanatic.

The deeper question is, after three years, why am I still blogging? As a friend suggested to me, I could easily write this stuff anywhere else - the written diaries I seem to have abandoned, text files on MS Word, or I could write everything in my LJ and make the posts Friends-Only, effectively locking out all of you blog-readers with the exception of Ryan and Karin (and actually, I could block them out too, I believe). So, why do I bear my soul here, on a blogspot page where anyone can read it? I guess the reason I have this blog is to try and show people, one small bit a time, who I am. Whether it's something I think is funny, something I think is sad, something that infuriates me, or just telling you what's going on in my life, I am sharing with all of you a piece of myself. Why do I wish to show myself? Why not, I guess. I think that deep down, everybody wants to be "understood." All we have to judge each other by is our actions and our words. I consider myself more proficient with words. Everyone has things to hide, but the things I choose to hide from the world are very, very few. So I guess that's why so much time and energy has been invested in this blog. It is my attempt to show the world who I am - it is my soapbox. I can write here any time, about anything, and people will read it. People I know will read it, and people I don't will read it.

Which brings me to the next point. I am fully aware that people I know and people I don't know read this blog. I have absolutely no problem with this. If I did, I would not display information about myself on the internet. However, you have a choice to read my blog. It's been brought to my attention that in the past, I have been eager to have others read my blog: "Hey did you read what I wrote today?!" (psychological reasons for this are plain - if I'm bearing my soul to the world here, I want people to look, assess what I present, and then still decide that I'm a person they enjoy exchanging ideas with). I have realized this, and have tried to desist asking people to read my blog. But even if I still do, the choice is still yours. Not to sound arrogant, but if one of you or twenty of you stopped reading, I would still have an audience. And even if it gets to the point where my audience is one, I will keep blogging. Therefore, if I write things in here that perturb you, or anger you, then please do not read my blog (note that here, I am referring to posts about things such as politics - if I write a post using your name and telling everyone that I hate you and wish you would go to Hell, then yes, you have a right to be upset with me). The internet, since its creation, or shortly thereafter, has had a nice feature in every web browser. In the upper right-hand corner, there is an X. If you come across something in your journey across the internet that troubles you, you can click this X, and the offensive site will magically disappear. You can reopen your browser of choice and search for websites that are more to your liking.

Because, as I have stated above, the purpose of this blog is to show you all, one small piece at a time, who I am, it obviously makes sense that since I know me best (with the exception of God), I decide what goes in this blog. In most cases, I do not write about things simply because people want me to. On the contrary, this blog is full of things that people couldn't care less about. Likewise, I won't desist writing in things because people want me to. Let's take politics as an example. The West Wing is my favorite TV show. At this point, it's probable that I will get a major in Political Science. I am highly interested in political science, just as I am highly interested in say, Harry Potter. Therefore, I will have opinions about politics, just as I have opinions about Harry Potter (I have favorite characters, favorite scenes, favorite books, just as I have favored candidates, favorite political actions, and favorite periods in history). As the purpose of this blog is to express to you all who I am, opinions of this nature will be expressed. As I have stated tirelessly, countless times, if you do not wish to read the opinions I choose to express, then please, do us both a favor, and do. not. read. them.

I don't believe that it's possible for me to make my point any clearer than that. Therefore, the rest is up to you.

In other news, apparently the Virgin Mary chose to make an appearance of a piece of grilled cheese ten years ago. Crazy stuff! Despite its age, the sandwich has grown no mold!

Current Music: the fan
scribbled mystickeeper at 10:55 AM
5 comments
5 Comments:

To the Almighty Dictator,

This type of post happens at least once every couple of months. Personally I think that they are degrading to your readers and I find them offensive. Thank you for letting us know that we have choice whether to read your works or not. I being a stupid piece of SHEEP had no idea that I was required to read this post. Also, thank you for letting us know that we are all expendable readers. Also, Jackie, I find that some of your posts are degrading such as the posts explaining that many of us are ignorant or ill-informed.

BUT, hey, why else would I look to see if you have updated your blog between my classes everyday religiously.
*Class, E-mail, my blog, jackie's blog, one good shit and off to class. *
I wouldn't be reading your blog for some happy and comfortable post that's suppose to make me all happy about myself, no I would look at some happy go-lucky person's blog that I know if I were looking for something to boost my self esteem.

It's because I'm here to look at something different and even to look at ideas that may or may not benefit my life to some extent. Assimilating your life experiances, grasping new and more difficult concepts, evaluating and even thinking.

Your blog has encouraged me to look at a unique side to an issue that's foreign to me in normal life.

So, what exactly am I trying to get across.

All of the statements in the first paragraph are true feelings I have on a well, infrequent basis........ AND THAT IS WHY I READ YOUR BLOG! The beautiful writing that flows smoothly like a stream in my back yard crick and turns into turbelent rapids that send me to my death.

AND LASTLY (I have to use the restroom so I'll make this brief)

You can interpret this comment anyway you would like and quite frankly I don't care how you choose too. Because, I know what will happen---either a rebuttal or the deletion of my comment or completely ignore it--which would be ideal due to it's antagonistic nature. That your ideas are so irritating and so THREATENING that it actually makes people have to leave nasty comments, I would say that your blog is serving your purpose and your readers.

"Because, as I have stated above, the purpose of this blog is to show you all, one small piece at a time, who I am, it obviously makes sense that since I know me best (with the exception of God), I decide what goes in this blog. In most cases, I do not write about things simply because people want me to. On the contrary, this blog is full of things that people couldn't care less about. Likewise, I won't desist writing in things because people want me to."

So, I bid you adieu for an extended period of time and hope you consider this opinnion as more of a way to encourage you NOT to censure your thoughts from the world.............. and I thank you for your blog.

GOOD DAY

By Blogger Unknown, at 5:22 PM, November 17, 2004  

To Ogre,
I am sorry if my post made you feel degraded. However, specific situations, such as people telling me that because they are conservative, they find my posts “offensive,” continue to piss me off. There are people who treat my blog like some kind of news source, in which I’m supposed to be non-partisan and non-inflammatory. There are people who think my blog is something it isn’t, and never, ever was. I’m fully aware that the vast majority of you are not fools. However, it is simply beyond me to understand the words and actions of some people and I am left with no other choice than to write to you all as though you were children, so as to make sure we’re all on the same page.

You have told me time and again to ignore people who consistently put me in situations such as these, but silly ideas like forgiveness keep finding their way back into the way I choose conduct myself.

You’re right, though…the fact that I do inflame other people means I’m serving my purpose. I thank you for your comment, and for not being afraid to lay the smack down despite our friendship. Sometimes, people let friendship get in the way of saying what needs to be said.

I will try my best not to censure myself from the world. I just wish I could censure some parts of the world from me.

Sincerely Yours,
The Almighty Dictator

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 5:57 PM, November 17, 2004  

This comment is almost inappropriately lighthearted in the face of such a serious post, but...I just realized that you like Sarah Brightman and The Phantom of the Opera!! Go you!

By Blogger Jenny, at 8:36 PM, November 17, 2004  

Mention of things that are cool is most certainly never inappropriate.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 9:01 PM, November 17, 2004  

JEN: Well, there was the serious subject and then the grilled cheese that looked like the virgin mary. 2 very opposite things.

JACKIE: No, our relationship isn't friendship. It's too different to be a friendship. I'll make up a word some time when I think of it. Marge and I have decided that we aren't friends but "Advanced Acquantances." (too late to worry about spelling.)

Have a HOLLY JOLLY Thursday.
Your Truly

Minion

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:38 PM, November 17, 2004  

Post a Comment