wJul 20, 2007


No, this post contains no spoilers.

HARRY POTTER IS SO INTENSE.

Holy crap. So, firstly, I had had my book reserved at Borders. But, my work friends Nina and Isa convinced me to get it at Barnes & Noble instead (then I could use my car to drive them!). This morning, I received an email from Borders about how they're giving out nice posters, glow-in-the-dark wands, and etc. Barnes & Noble better have good stuff, that's all I have to say!

This afternoon around 3:00pm, we called Barnes & Noble to check and see if we could show up at 9am Friday to pick up a wristband that would secure us a place in line. We were informed that they would begin handing them out at 5:00pm Thursday (as in, this day). There was a mild freak-out in the page room (yes, we called from work). Then, we left work early (lols), took the bus to my house, and then Nina's boyfriend picked us up and drove us all the way to West Towne Mall to get our wrist bands. It turns out that they started handing them out before 5:00pm because the line outside was blocking the doors to the ShopKo next-door. So, despite getting there shortly after 5:00pm, the numbers on our wristbands are like, 340 or something.

I think we're going out for dinner tomorrow night, and then heading to Barnes & Noble. Yes, I will wear my cloak and not put my hair up, and thus will be Hermione.

I feel pretty crappy tonight (physically), but I'm glad that I stayed up late so tomorrow won't suck as much. I'm staying home from my internship so as to not feel sickly.

Tomorrow, I hope to sample "wizard drinks," read manga for free, get my face painted, "Make my own amulet," get sorted, and beat 12-year-olds in Harry Potter trivia. Interestingly enough, one of my co-workers who is younger than I am will be staffing the event. I will be running around squealing like a little girl. I'll stay up reading as late as I can.

I really don't know how to describe my excitement. I remember discovering Harry Potter in middle school, I think. I love this series. It's true that most of the characters don't have a whole lot of depth to them, but J.K. Rowling has a definite knack for plot, and such a nice way of weaving words to tell a story. Most people don't like the protagonist himself, Harry, but I do. Particularly in Order of the Phoenix, his rebellion against adults and exasperation at their refusal to clue him in to vital information that would help him resonated with me a lot at a time when I was in high school, didn't hold much respect for my teachers, and was sick of being treated like a child by my parents. Not even that, and I know I've said this before, but it is amazing how universal this is. I mean, I am the frigging president of my university's Anime Club. I know what it's like to meet random people and be like, "OMG, you love this obscure series? ME TOO!" But with Harry Potter, every single person I've ever met has at least heard of it, and most have at least seen one of the movies. The lucky ones have read the books. Some are sci-fi geeks, some are my co-workers who would normally mock me (in good fun) for my geeky tendencies.

And for God's sake, Steph, if you do not read books 5 and 6 and then 7, I swear to God, I might kill you. You love this series; the books are better; half the questions you asked me in your last email were ANSWERED IN BOOK 5, KTHX.

If you love the movies, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE READ THE BOOKS. They are 5,000 times better.

Starting now, I'm staying away from any news site except for The Wheeler Report, and not checking my LJ friends list. Sorry, I don't trust all of you, ;) (although I do trust most of you!)

Once I get the book, all time will be devoted to reading it and eating. After that, I'm finally reading all of the spoiler reports that were on the Internet, and seeing how accurate they were, and having some lols about it. And then, of course, writing huge blog entries about it. I am a tad nervous, because I really didn't like Half-Blood Prince at first. It took me a while, because it really felt like fanfiction at first. Now, I read all of book six as set-up for seven.

I am sad that the series is ending, yes. So many of my online friends I know from Kell Yarwood's old messageboard, WOFS, and I think the one thing we all had in common was Harry Potter. We've been swapping theories and impressions on movies/books for what, five years now? I'm glad to have met all of you (and yes, rest of my LJ Friends list, all of you, too!), and I hope that we can find another fandom together.

J.K. Rowling, please publish your rumored encyclopedia after book 7! There are so many back stories we need to know!

Also, random point: I always imagine Harry Potter as cartoon characters (too much anime? Maybe). In my mind, Harry Potter is a cartoon drawn by makani. (Full-view it! Sirius is hawt, as he should be!)

My Internet friend Bethany said it best when she said, "No matter how the story ends, Harry lives."

Labels:

scribbled mystickeeper at 1:14 AM
2 comments
2 Comments:

Wow. You guys are crazy. There's like 50 or so people who are going to be at Room's party tonight that preordered. Also, Jaci and I made licorice wands, bowtruckle clusters, pumpkin cookies, and chocolate frogs, which are YUMMY.

By Blogger Gretchen, at 6:37 AM, July 20, 2007  

Ahhhh, your party sounds fun, too! Take pictures, and I will, too! And yes, we will definitely call one another as soon as we are done.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 10:08 AM, July 20, 2007  

Post a Comment