wJul 22, 2007


Jackie and the Deathly Hallows

I don't think I've ever read or watched anything that made me burst into tears as much as reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows did. Honestly, I think I cried at least 15 times, with two good sobbing sessions. For reals.

Anyway, I'll write about things that don't contain spoilers, at first. Things that everyone can read. On Friday night, Nina, Isa, and I grabbed dinner at Pizza Hut. There, we saw a dude dressed as a house elf sitting with 3 other people. "Are you going to Barnes & Noble, too?" I yelled, and they answered, "YES!" Other people in the establishment tittered with laughter. Oh my God, I love this fandom (and I'm not even overly involved in it! I don't do the Harry Potter fanfiction thing).

At Barnes & Noble, there were adorable children dressed as characters, badass adults with amazingly accurate costumes, MANGA WAITING FOR ME TO BE READ. lol, there was a dude holding a specific color of balloons who was in charge of our numbered section once we were supposed to start organizing ourselves into a line. We gave him so much shit - I think he was like, 18. "So, you're going to tell us exactly when we can get behind you in line, right?" I asked.
"Uhhhh.....yeah. Yeah," he said.
"You'd better not be lying," I said. "This IS IMPORTANT."
"R-right."
"....So do you think Harry is a horcrux?" and then we had amazing conversations about our theories for what would happen.

All 3 local TV stations were there. I made an amulet at an activity table, and got a moon & stars painted on my face. I went up to people with good costumes and asked them to get their picture taken with me.

At the very end, we did a verbal count-down, and then once they started to pass out books, Nina, Isa, and I put our headphones on and listened to mp3 players so as not to risk getting spoiled. I did appreciate, though, that one Barnes & Noble employee scaled a stand-alone book-shelving staircase in the middle of the entrance, brandishing a copy of the book in triumph. AMAZING. I LOVE HARRY POTTER. We all yelled with joy.

During the car ride home, Isa read out loud most of the first chapter by the light of her cell phone. Once we got home, she knew that I had started at the same time, and was calling me about every half hour so that we could freak out, being like, "OMG! I KNOW! I KNOW!" I unintentionally fell asleep around 3am and then woke up at 8:00 and continued reading. I think that Isa called me about once an hour until 2:00pm, lols. It made reading it so much better, though! Especially in the beginning, we kept trying to come up with theories and such. The whole book has such a heightened sense of paranoia.

I apologize in advance. Those of you who regularly read my blog already know this, but my first reaction to anything that I like is uncontrolled squee. So, that's what you'll get. :)

Here are my thoughts on the book. THERE ARE SPOILERS. EVERYTHING IS SPOILED. EVEN LITTLE THINGS. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ, DO NOT CLICK.

Labels:

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:11 AM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment