wMar 21, 2007


Oh Yoshimi, they don't believe me / but you won't let these robots eat me

YES.
I finally watched last week's episode of Grey's Anatomy. I won't spoil it! Really. Seriously. BUT - can I just say this? I was squealing for about the last 5 minutes straight. Somebody who's seen it, please call me so we can freak out together!

Umbrellas
Let me preface this story by saying that my mom is very obsessive over Elvis Presley. I don't know why. No one knows why. She just is, and always has been.

So, I had an umbrella. And then last semester, when Antoine, Chad, Kristy, and I went to Chicago for the weekend, it rained. And I didn't have an umbrella. So I bought one. Somehow, it got lost on the way home. And once I was back home, I couldn't find my original umbrella either. It was irritating, but I was so irritated that I refused to buy a new one (again).

A couple of weeks ago, Louise handed an umbrella to me (which was not either of the two previously mentioned umbrellas) and said, "My brother found this in our car. And it's not ours, and it's not any of his friends'. So it must be yours." I looked at the umbrella and didn't recognize it in the slightest, but took it anyway. Hey - I had lost two umbrellas, and I felt entitled to one that nobody else was going to claim anyway.

At least, I thought it wasn't mine until this morning when it was raining and I had to use it. I walked out of the house, quickly locking the door behind me and readying to bolt across the street to stand at the bus stop. I pop open the umbrella, being excited that I just press a button and it opens up all the way by itself (no pinching fingers pushing it up myself!). And then I look up. And see two huge Elvis Presley faces, and two full-bodied grabbing-the-microphone-Elvises. (Elvii? I don't know) The girl at the bus stop was polite and didn't stare. But once I stepped off the bus, I giggled the whole walk up the hill to class. Many people did double-takes, but nobody laughed outright. (I know a lot of you go to small colleges and that seems exaggerated, but if you're unfamiliar, Madison is a huge school and I probably walk by/past 200 people between the bus stop and the building my class is in)

At least I have one now, right? Also, I don't feel bad taking it from Louise anymore, because I know that it definitely came from my family.

Your Weird News of the Day
Okay. So. Aaron Sorkin (writer behind "The American President," and TV series Sports Night, The West Wing, and Studio 60) is writing a Broadway musical. The premise? The album "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" by The Flaming Lips. The Flaming Lips. And Aaron Sorkin.
As described by Wayne Coyne, There's the real world and then there's this fantastical world. This girl, the Yoshimi character, is dying of something. And these two guys are battling to come visit her in the hospital. And as one of the boyfriends envisions trying to save the girl, he enters this other dimension where Yoshimi is this Japanese warrior and the pink robots are an incarnation of her disease. It's almost like the disease has to win in order for her soul to survive. Or something like that.

Seriously. It sounds like a Japanese anime plot. And as you all know, I'm all about Japanese anime. But. Aaron Sorkin? I think my brain broke. HOWEVER, it does have the potential to be The Best Thing Ever.

And Lastly...
Pirates of the Caribbean III trailer!! OMF, it looks so good! I think I've always felt kind of "meh" about the first movie, but the second one blew me out of the water. And this last one? Looks very pwn.


Current Music: Psychiatric Explorations of the Fetus with Needles - The Flaming Lips

Labels: , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 10:56 PM
1 comments
1 Comments:

Wayne Coyne and the Flaming Lips frikn' rule! I have the cd Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, it is a good cd not one of there best. That musical is going to be really tripped out.


kevin your brother-in-law

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 PM, March 23, 2007  

Post a Comment