wMar 18, 2007


the end.

Right. So. Blogging more often.
This weekend has been nice. I already wrote about Friday night. Since then, I've washed a load of laundry, changed the sheets on my bed, and have gone to church.

Princess Tutu
I finished watching the anime Princess Tutu. You may remember that I have squeed about it before. After watching the entire series (through Netflix), though, was it worth it? YES! The ending was excellent, and I ended up caring for characters for whom I previously hadn't.
One of the cute things that I love about this series is that each episode is named after a different ballet/opera, and then features the musical score from that piece throughout the episode. I wasn't familiar with all of the storylines, but in "A Midsummer Night's Dream," for example, I noticed that several side characters were named after the ones in Shakespeare's play, and many actions and plot-points were lifted from the source material.
All of my good comments were already made by me in the link I just gave, after watching the first DVD (I don't want to give spoilers!). I guess that the only critique I have of the series is the animation quality. The colors are just right, and the lines are crisp - it's not the drawing that's bad, but rather the motion, or general lack-thereof. When the characters dance, it's generally very beautiful. But otherwise, the camera moves around zooming on people's faces or panning across a background instead of having a character move. I expect it's a technique used to make money. In the same vein, the series gets pretty flashback-heavy toward the last few episodes, but it's tastefully done and adds to the story, so I forgive it. If you're looking for a new (but slightly old) series, then I recommend this one.

Series Currently Airing in Japan
I haven't seen enough of either series to make much of a comment about them, but we had a "sampler" evening during movie-time this week at Anime Club, and I found two series that I liked a lot: Pumpkin Scissors and Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi. I was already watching the series Nodame Cantabile before Saturday (it's pretty fun, but not gripping enough for me to devote time to stay caught up when I should be doing homework), and I found Saiunkoku Monogatari to be pretty "meh" despite the raving reviews I've heard from everyone and their mom. It's pretty, but....meh.
Too bad I don't have time to watch any of these series!!

Anyway, I've wasted lots of time somehow, and all I wrote about was anime series. How lame. Good night.

Labels: , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:25 PM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment