wJan 10, 2007


Wheee!

Today has been pretty good so far! I went to the dentist, had a hair cut, and paid my credit card bill. I am a new woman! (Actually, no....)
Last night, I went to see Children of Men at the movie theatre with Jason and Tom. It was a pretty good movie. It has a slightly sci-fi premise, but it's very much grounded in a reality, and relevant to today's current geo-political events. Parts of the plot don't make sense, but there's enough there to make it enjoyable and exciting. I wouldn't recommend the movie if you don't like gore, though. Still, the characterization and themes make the movie worth seeing - the camera-work and craftsmanship make it outstanding. If you're looking for something different, I recommend it!

After that, I hung out with Jason and Tom for a while, which was nice. We only rarely get to see each other, but as I've said many times in this blog - some people will always be your friends. Also, Jason and I were very excited to discover that we both love the band Tool, and specifically the song "The Pot."

Anime Series: Princess Tutu
Can I please tell you how much I love this anime?! I got the first DVD in the mail from Netflix, which contains the first 5 episodes of the series, and I have watched them all. It is so CUTE and so awesome! I would squee way too much, so I'll use Wikipedia to provide you with a coherent summary.
"In many ways, Princess Tutu can be categorized as a typical shoujo anime and manga. The main character, Arima Ahiru ("ahiru" means "duck" in Japanese), gains a special brooch that allows her to sense when something is amiss, and turn into Princess Tutu to handle the situation. As typical with other shoujo series, the chapters and episodes for the most part follow a distinct pattern, in which the main character transforms into Princess Tutu and saves the day with her dancing."

Jackie Squee: Yes, that's right. In this anime, there is no fighting with weapons or magical kaleidoscopes: they DANCE! Bwahahaha! Also, the voice actress for Ahiru really makes her voice sound just like a duck!

However, although the anime appears to be a magical girl show, it is actually more a fairy tale and meta-fairy tale, which adds a twist to the formal structure. It draws together many disparate elements of myth, fairy tale, ballet, and opera. Like many fairy tales, it's rich in wordplay, with names and terms are assign different layers of meaning, often across multiple languages (particularly English, German, and Italian). The soundtrack is classical and romantic, and episodes are often named for their most prominently featured ballet movements. Princess Tutu is in many ways your typical shoujo title, it's also something more: like Revolutionary Girl Utena, it inhabits a world of both magic and myth. It also shares Utena's strong feminist themes and undertones -- Princess Tutu remains one of the few anime series that never panders to a poorly stereotypical portrayal of any kind of characters, good or evil. The heroine successfully blends the traits of a true hero and an ordinary person, until eventually there is no line in between the two. The major female antagonist defies genre categorizing, being simultaneously villainous, heartbreaking and heroic in her own way."

"Every episode features a different (real-world) ballet interwoven into the storyline and the soundtrack makes use of original ballet music to good effect. For example, the first episode uses Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker", and both Tutu and Kraehe's outfits are based on Swan Lake's Odette and Odile, perhaps to show the differences between them."


This series makes me want to be a ballerina! I think that once I graduate from college and have a job, I'd like to take some kind of dance class, as well as sword-fighting or some kind of martial arts.

Labels: , , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 2:42 PM
2 comments
2 Comments:

WAIII! come take fencing with me and Katy! it will be delightful, I assure you :)

By Blogger Tas, at 11:15 AM, January 12, 2007  

When (what time) is it offered, and how many credits is it?

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 3:32 PM, January 12, 2007  

Post a Comment