wMar 9, 2006


Saturated with Links and Politics: Just Like You Like It

My last midterm (and really, last assignment due) before Spring Break is tomorrow, which means that this post is full of links so that you can see how I looked at lots of things instead of studying (to my credit, I did spend a lot of time holed up the library today...the Internet was only used as relief!).

If you haven't seen the Natalie Portman rap on NBC, you totally need to click this! Warnings for inappropriate-ness....swear words are bleeped out, but definitely not approach if you're sitting in the same room as a parent or extremely young child. Or at work or something. But it's funny because it's Natalie Portman.

Firstly, if you're one of the two people who read this and watch Battlestar Galactica, feel free to read my thoughts on the last couple of episodes/podcasts. Also, Season 3 is not going to air until October! Woe is the fandom!
As for the rest of you, well, yes, I am fully aware of how cool I am, thank you very much.

Wisconsin state Republicans in both the House and the Senate have been passing "moral-based" bills lately, like putting a gay marriage ban on the ballot for this November. The Senate also just passed a bill that would put the death penalty on the ballot, after 150 years of being banned. I ripped the following directly from page 4 of today's Daily Cardinal, but I felt that you all should hear it (especially people who live in my congressional district!).
"This is a cynical right-wing attempt to motivate the base for the fall elections."
- Rep. Marlin Schneider, D-Wisconsin Rapids, regarding the gay marriage ban Wisconsinites will vote on in 2006

"Go to hell, Marlin."
- Assembly Speaker John Gard, R-Peshtigo, in response to being confronted by Rep. Schneider in a Capitol hallway.

John Gard is considered by many to be the front-runner in Wisconsin's 8th District's race for the House. I'm going to be really disappointed if he wins.
Also, please recall this post, in which I shared with you how I felt about Gard putting the national Republican party before Wisconsinites by inappropriately having a $1,000/plate dinner in Washington, D.C. - where, ironically, people who should be deciding whether or not to elect him do not live!
For me, politics is not the only thing that's important when it comes to choosing my candidate. I'm not an idiot and I'm well-informed, and when somebody is so bitterly partisan that I never hear his/her name outside of the context of being a jerk, I am not inclined to vote for that candidate, even if his or her stances on the issues were to coincide with mine exactly. I'd rather have someone with integrity representing me who disagrees with me on every issue. Politics is not a game, despite constantly being described as one. It determines how society functions, and what one person's relationship to society is. Not only this, but these are the people who determine how the government treats us in terms of our liberty, and even matters of life and death. Given the magnitude, I'd have to go with preferring someone with an honest desire to do good things. Unfortunately, in today's political climate, this is becoming more and more difficult to find (psst....except in people like Mark Green!).

Although, we should be glad that at least people in Wisconsin aren't pushing for "being a practicing gay" to be an offense punishable by death. I can't even fathom how some of these people are intelligent enough to be alive, let alone try to run for public office. Disgusting.

The video game Final Fantasy XII is going to be released in Japan soon, and in celebration, they are releasing a beverage called "Potion." For those of you unfamiliar with RPGs, potions are used to restore Hit Points in or after battle. Watch this Japanese commercial (you really don't need to understand what they're saying) to see what happens when two people try to get a hold of the same potion in a convenience store. At the end, they each take a swig and it restores 100 HP per person. BEST COMMERCIAL EVER!

I'm really failing to see how burning down a church is funny under any context, ever.

Regarding the Teri Hatcher revelation....
TV during lunch: *something about Teri Hatcher*
Chad: What happened?
Me: She was sexually abused by her uncle.
Chad: Recently?
Me: ......No, Chad.

Current Music: JOY (Live) - Yuki (Yes....I've begun to succomb to the horror/cuteness that is J-Pop...or Japanese Pop music, for those who don't know)

Labels: ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 12:43 AM
2 comments
2 Comments:

OH MY GOD. It came out on sangatsu nanoka (March 7th) and the male actor is the same guy who plays Chiba Mamoru! There's not any other Japanese used that's not obvious though, as you might imagine, he says something to the extent of "Oh, what have we here? That's the one," then they both go, "huh?!" then there's a bunch of moves narrated, then the katakana(sounds like english), and the date it started to go on sale. t3h pwn.

By Blogger Steph, at 10:27 PM, March 09, 2006  

OH MY GOD, TUXEDO MASK DRINKS POTIONS!

Nice catch, Steph. I thought he looked familiar, but couldn't place him. YOUR JAPANESE POP CULTURE KNOWLEDGE PWNS MINE.


CAPS LOCK IS SO AWESOME.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 10:35 PM, March 09, 2006  

Post a Comment