wJan 24, 2010


Caprica: Pilot

I watched the pilot of SyFy's new show Caprica, which is a prequel taking place 58 years before the events of Battlestar Galactica. I'm not really into posting plot synopses, because I feel like that is what Wikipedia is for.

Even though I broke up with Battlestar Galactica (I still haven't seen the end of it, but I will some day), the involvement of Jane Espenson [Buffy writer/executive co-producer/executive story editor] as one of the producers was enough to lure me in.

I pretty much dislike all of the characters except for Lacy, for whom I have a lot of hope. Yosef/Joseph Adama might turn out to be cool, but I'm thus far undecided. I hope that William Adam's grandmother stays in the picture, and doesn't just conveniently fade out.

The plot itself was not terribly interesting.


I hate Zoe, and I think that she and her father almost ruined the pilot for me. She is such an arrogant, spoiled brat. I hate her father, too. Waiting to see about her mother. And as for Mr. Graystone.....At least Gaius Baltar was interesting to watch.

Graystone is an awkward last name to say. "Gray" or "Stone" would have been fine. Preferably "Stone," as "Grey" is all, 'Are they good or evil?! We don't know! We'll be sure to make their surname reflect their ambiguous nature!'

Zoe and her mom argue. Her mother berates her Zoe because Zoe's a spoiled brat, and tells her she doesn't know what it's like to work for what she has. Zoe says something like, "I guess I'll have to learn how to marry into money like you did." A few scenes later, it's revealed that her mother is a successful surgeon. WTF.

I find it interesting that a lot of the promotional advertisements for Caprica show Zoe (naked, of course, this is BSG we're talking about) munching a large bite out of an apple, a clear reference to Eve (especially since they say the series takes place "58 years before the Fall"). I'm not really sure it's fair to implicate Zoe, though. She clearly makes a virtual avatar of herself, but it is her father - not Zoe - who brings the avatar into the real world and downloads it into a robotic body. It's her father who won't leave it alone, even after she's dead.


My hope is that Ron Moore's involvement will be minimal, that Espenson can help pull out the possibilities for strong storytelling.

In the end, this mini-series pilot doesn't really hold a candle to the one that opened Battlestar Galactica. Still, I'm going to keep watching, mostly for Lacy, and also hoping that things get better.

Labels:

scribbled mystickeeper at 4:11 PM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment