wNov 1, 2009


Dollhouse, 2.4

Watching Topher Brink suffer through his "moral crises" is like listening to Whoopi Goldberg struggle to explicate the difference between "rape" and "rape-rape."

Other people have already written extensively about why this episode show is made of fail.

I don't really feel the need to justify my continuing to watch it. Every week it's like another dose of, "Okay, so who mind-wiped Joss Whedon?" It's almost fascinating to watch. Also, at some point in the future, I intend to make a post analyzing why people only value the opinions of others regarding TV shows/books/etc. if the person has question has "seen all of it." Clearly, in order for someone's opinon to matter, they must have seen every single episode, or read every page, etc. This was a key component in the breakdown of RaceFail: people's opinions being undervalued because they were not informed "enough." Fandom is a really weird place. But back to Dollhouse.

It's almost hilarious to read other people accuse those of us who critique the show scramble, saying that we're "missing the subtext" or "we're trying to find the worst in this show."
I hate to brag (okay, that's a lie, I love to brag), but I've been reading at a college level since the 5th grade and I chose English as one of my majors at one of the best public universities in the world. I'm not missing any subtleties here, and in fact I am trying really hard to like the show, because in the past I have adore Whedon-shows. Don't insult with me any excuses, people. My critique is valid. Everyone's critiques are valid.

Mostly it's unsettling because Buffy means a lot to me, and I'm wondering increasingly whether it meant anything to Mr. Whedon, or if he was just trying to sell an image.

Labels: ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 3:37 PM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment