wOct 16, 2008


Wisconsin Book Festival Action

Blume is the author of lots of books for young adults, teens, and some scandalous "older teen" and adult books, such as Freckle Juice, Superfudge, Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret, and Forever.
Anyway, I got a book signed for my sister, and one for me. I can never think of what to say when I meet a favorite author (like when I met Neil Gaiman and Chuck Palahniuk...OMG!). But when she asked who the other book was for, I babbled, "My sister! She's fifteen years older than me, but she loved your books, and then I read them, and I loved them, too!" Annnd, that's all I had.

I didn't end up going to her lecture tonight because I had to get up an hour early this morning, I was really hungry, and there have apparently been 3 muggings and/or sexual assaults in my neighborhood in the last four days, so I'm all about being inside before dark. I always carry pepper spray, but I'm considering always carrying my umbrella. It comes up to my hit, and I'm fairly certain that it would serve as a decent weapon, should I need to fend someone off.


Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood I loved The Blind Assassin ... is this one good, too?!

Head Games by Craig McDonald This book was published by Bleak House! I interned there last summer, and I edited this book. In fact, I corrected a lot of the Spanish! I already had an advance copy, but now it's cool to look at the final product. In addition to being gleeful because I watched the book get made, it was far and away my favorite book from Bleak House. I highly recommend it!

Man Made Language by Dale Spender
"...[I]t is through the patriarchal language that much of women's continued subordination is structured. ... This exciting feminist study of language, its rules and uses, was first published in 1980, has reprinted many times, and is now as fresh, as relevant, and as liberating as it has ever been."

What Does a Woman Want? Reading and Sexual Difference by Shoshana Felman
"...Felman explores these questions through close readings of autobiographical texts by Virginia Woolf, Simone de Beauvoir, and Adrienne Rich which attempt to redefine women as the subject of their own desire. She also examines texts by Sigmund Freud and Honore de Balzac which dramatize, each in its own way, a male encounter with femininity as difference - a male experience of femininity as precisely the emergence of the unexpected, baffling, and not always conscious question: 'What does a woman want?'"

The Female Body: Figures, Styles, Speculations by Laurence Goldstein (editor)
Reflections of "anthropologists, historians, literary scholars, psychologists, philosophers, sociologists, and art historians, as well as poets, artists, and fiction writers."

Westering Women and the Frontier Experience 1800-1915 by Sandra L. Myers
"In this book frontier women gain a voice they never had. Professor Myres uses extensive new material by and about women - letters, journals, and reminiscences from over 400 collections - to study the impact of the frontier on women's lives and the role of women in the West. She offers a major reinterpretation of the experience of pioneer women, including that of Indian, Mexican, French, black, and Anglo-American women. Her account re-creates in detail the frontier experience of all these women, beginning with their physical and intellectual responses to the trek West, and concluding with their struggle for political suffrage and economic opportunity."

Labels: , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 8:23 AM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment