wSep 20, 2008


Recently Read Manga Report....with pictures!



Apollo's Song by Osamu Tezuka

Tezuka is considered the god of anime/manga, but I had never read anything by him before. His works date back to the 1940s and have influenced every manga genre.

Apollo's Song is really weird, but really good. The protagonist is a boy named Shogo, who has grown up hating love. Society fears him as being a psychopath, because he's killed animals after finding them mating. He is an inmate at institution attempting to rehabilitate him. Through hypnotism and electro-shock therapy, Shogo experiences elaborate dreams in which he falls in love with a woman, only to meet a tragic end every time. A Greek goddess (I can't remember which one it was, :/) tells him that this is his punishment for acting out so much violence against lovers in his life. Eventually, reality and the dream-world blur together. This was pretty awesome, and I'm looking forward to reading more by Tezuka.





Tekkonkinkreet by Taiyō Matsumoto

This manga was originally published in the early 1990s, but has recently gained a lot of attention because of the movie adaptation that was made in 2006.

Black and White are two orphan boys living in a city called Treasure Town. The yakuza (Japanese equivalent of the mob) is trying to take over the city, but these two snot-nosed kids simply won't have it. Black is the intelligent and more violent boy, while White seems to be somewhat impaired mentally, and is constantly singing nonsense songs. They live together in an abandoned car.

This manga, and its anime adaptation, have garnered a lot of positive press, but overall, I wasn't too impressed. I'd still be interested in watching the movie, though. It seems to have had a pretty high budget, and the action scenes would probably be fun.





Sand Chronicles by Hinako Ashihara

I absolutely adored volume one of this series, and I highly recommend it for its art style, its pacing, and its emotional impact.

Spoilers for volume 3.

I love Ann, and I love Daigo. But I also love the Tsukishima siblings, and I want them to be happy, so I want Ann and Daigo to end up with Fuji and Shiika instead of with each other.

Labels: , , , , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 7:39 PM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment