wSep 9, 2008


The argument fanboys have at every convention, ever

For n00bs to the anime scene: "Shounen" (or shonen) manga is that which is marketed toward boys. The girls are often voluptuous and useless and kidnapped, and the protagonist boys have EPIC ANGST that must be overcome. This angst is always overcome by fighting, be it ninja-style or ghost-killing style. The protagonist's goal is usually to level up a lot and generally pwn n00bs.

Is the separation of shoujo and shounen manga sexist? This should be the topic of another post.

Anyway, so I'm only 3 volumes into Bleach, but I'm ready to list the reasons why it's better than Naruto (of which I read ~32 volumes):

-- The narrative pacing is actual...narrative pacing.
-- Girls do things other than whine about Sasuke
-- It's a personal preference, but I like the art style more
-- A single fight does not take 6 volumes to reach its conclusion
-- Characters do not spend entire fights explaining the flow of their chakra, or explaining in great detail how their SEKRIT ULTIMATE MOVE works. I like this. I don't care about the schemantics behind somebody's bad-ass fight move. I care about who gets hit, who hit them, how cool it looks, and who dies afterward.
-- It's actually funny, when it tries to be funny
-- The characterization that protagonist Ichigo gets in volume 3 makes me care about him a lot more than I ever cared about the protagonist of Naruto.


Of course, all these things could soon change.

Feel free to use the comments to weigh in on how you feel about Bleach v. Naruto.

Labels: , , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 4:23 PM
2 comments
2 Comments:

I am seriously addicted to and deeply dependent on Bleach (the anime), except when they pull the "oh Tite Kubo needs more time, let's create 30 episodes of mindless filler"-shit, which is twice now. And Naruto? Meh, not so much. Watched it a few times; seemed kind of lame and ridiculous.

But I'm curious: you titled this post "the argument...", so what was the actual argument? It feels as though you omitted that part.

By Blogger Gordon, at 11:17 PM, September 10, 2008  

That's why manga > anime. No filler, EVAR!

The argument I referred to is "OMG, which one is better, Naruto or Bleach?!" I probably could have been more clear.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 6:48 AM, September 11, 2008  

Post a Comment