wJul 19, 2008


Denouement

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR THE END OF DR. HORRIBLE

WTF, ARE YOU SHITTING ME? IS THAT REALLY THE END?

Remember how we all thought that Penny was going to be Bad Horse?!

I thought her sweet act was a fake-out, because it's Joss Whedon, and women aren't just waifs for men to fight over with disgustingly sugary personalities. BUT THEN SHE DIED, AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN LOVE DR. HORRIBLE.

I LOVE DR. HORRIBLE, THIS WAS SO SAD. HE IS SO CUTE.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY.

JOSS WHEDON, YOU ARE A MEAN, MEAN MAN.

That last shot of Dr. Horrible? Looking adorable in his hoodie? Talk about a punch in the gut. I am still processing this! I don't know what to say! This was horrible from the stance of how Penny was treated, but as a character study for Dr. Horrible the man, the story as a whole is fascinating! Penny was just figuring out how dickish Captain Hammer really was. And she had two frozen yogurts, waiting for "Billy Buddy." But then she's bleeding and dead and telling Billy not to worry because Captain Hammer will save them.

That last shot of sad!Billy is going to be with me for days, I think.

And listening to I Cannot Believe My Eyes is pretty shocking as well. Because it's Billy, and most people listen to it and think, "Cheer up, Billy Buddy!" (unless you're me and you're like, shit, he's totally right). But by the end of the musical, everything he says is proven true.

Anyone with half a brain
can spend their whole life howling in pain
'cause the dark is everywhere
and Penny doesn't seem to care
that the dark in me is all that will remain


Okay. So the more I think about the ending, the more I like it. The only character I like in this entire thing is Dr. Horrible/Billy himself. I wish I could have liked Penny more, but all she was was a ray of hope for Billy that ended up turning him evil completely.

ETA: OMF! Other people have good theories! I'm not sure which I like better: it all having been in Billy's head, or it all having happened, with Billy just being a locked-away part of Dr. Horrible's personality.

Labels: ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 12:24 AM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment