wJul 7, 2008


Big Plans

With the help of Antoine, I have now reinstalled Windows on my laptop. So far, so good. I've been updating 4 years' worth of Windows updates, and installing antivirus software. With time, I'll add back my other programs, and eventually all of the stuff from my hard drive that's currently on one of Antoine's computers.

Oh yeah! When I rebooted everything, I was given the opportunity to rename my computer. Previously, it had the very cliche name of Hal. Now, its name is Watanuki. Antoine agrees that it is appropriate, given Watanuki's status as a house servant in xxxHolic. And my computer is totally my servant!

I realized the other day that normally, I'm pretty annoyed with how complicated it can be to keep up with anime fansubs. For those who don't know how all of this works, anime shows air on regular TV in Japan. Japanese viewers make copies of the shows, and upload them to the Internet. In various communities on the Internet, fansub groups form. These groups of people dedicate themselves to translating episodes of anime and embedding English (or whatever) subtitles into the video file. These "fansubs" are then uploaded and seeded throughout the Interwebs.

Needless to say, it can sometimes be annoying to track down files, and it's a pretty murky area, legally. I also don't like waiting a week between new episodes. The only thing that's airing in Japan right now is the second season of Code Geass. Besides, Netflix has tons of series on DVD that I haven't seen yet. Among those I'd like to watch....

Also, just to keep myself motivated....

Blog Posts I Intend to Write, or Polish and Post:
--A recommended reading order for CLAMP's various manga series (this is mostly done)
--Finish writing up the panels that I attended at Wiscon 32
--A Round-Up post with links to write-ups of panels from Wiscon 32
--A Guide to n00bs/People Who Just Missed It regarding online discussions related to Wiscon (such as Cultural Appropriation Debate of DOOM). There are a number of my friends who have attended, or are interested in, Wiscon, but missed these discussions originally. They are discussions about racism, sexism, and fandom that were important in shaping my views, and they form a common ground that some who attend Wiscon assume everyone else shares.

Labels: , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:57 PM
1 comments
1 Comments:

Watanuki====Awesome. I especially enjoyed the wikipedia description of your selfless servant.

See you this weekend.

By Blogger Unknown, at 6:35 PM, July 09, 2008  

Post a Comment