wJun 12, 2008


xxxHolic, Volumes 1-3 and Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Volumes 1-5

To see my past posts on CLAMP manga, I recommend using the tag system to your advantage!

Can I just say how much I love Del Rey's publishing style? I wish that their manga wasn't so expensive ($10.95/volume). Their post-volume character guides, cultural notes, and cross-over notes are absolutely fantastic. Also, their honorifics guide at the beginning of each volume is stellar. Huge props to Del Rey!

Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle

This will mostly be squee. References (but not particularly spoilery things) are made to the series Cardcaptor Sakura, X, Chobits, Legend of Chun Hyang, and xxxHolic.


Hey! Syaoran's dad is Fujitaka, or Sakura's dad from Cardcaptor Sakura! Also, cuteness, Sakura and Syaoran look like they met at about the same age as they did in Cardcaptor Sakura.

Syaoran is once again orphaned, living alone as he did in Cardcaptor Sakura.

I don't like Sakura even in the Kingdom of Clow, whining about missing Syaoran all the time.

I love tha Toya still calls Syaoran a brat. Also, OMF Toya/Yukito!! Their love is so cute. They say that they know Syaoran is destined for Sakura. How do they know this?

Is the "power to pass through space and time" greater than the power of the Clow Cards?

Yuki's fierce "I will never allow him to die!" was so cute, and just made me think of the sacrifice Toya made for Yuki in Cardcaptor Sakura.

Squee for Tomoyo - now she has awesome outfits, too!

Chi. Still an idiot. I'm glad her role seems very minor.

Oh no! Even if Syaoran restores Sakura's memories, their relationship won't be the same! That is so sad, :(

OMF, Arashi and Sorata from X! I love Arashi!

Watching Chu'nyan was pretty depressing. Syaoran tells her it's "because she's suffered too much already," which kind of sucks. Even at the end of her world's arc, she says her opponent "isn't worth the energy it takes to hit him." Where is the Chun Hyang I know?! Sadness!

Volume 3
I love when Sakura gets a memory back, and Syaoran's flashbacks too. I also enjoy how, like in Cardcaptor Sakura, Tsubasa Chronicle makes it very clear when a flashback is taking place.

Sakura has the same birthday as Watanuki! Birthdays can be important in CLAMP (Tokyo Babylon!). What does this mean? I would guess that Watanuki was a version of Sakura in his dimension, but it's been made pretty clear that Watanuki's dimension is the one in which Sakura was Cardcaptor Sakura (I think?! Why else would he recognize her scepter?).

Ooooh, okay so Syaoran's father isn't Fujitaka, and he's missing some memory. AND, Sakura's father is Clow Reed. What does this mean?!

Volume 5
Yay, fairy tale arc!

I loved Sakura breaking out of jail. LOVE the 19th century attire.

So far, the feather has caused badness in society, so it's actually a good thing when Syaoran & Co. take it back for Sakura. I think it would be interesting to watch them make a choice between Sakura's memory and a feather that was causing a society to flourish.

WTF, Syaroan is blind in an eye?! Isn't that the Seishiro blind-side?! I MUST USE CAPS LOCK!

Also, yay, Nekoi and Kusanagi are on the same side, unlike in X! Happiness abounds.



xxxHolic

This will mostly be squee. References (but not particularly spoilery things) are made to the series Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits, and Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle.


LOL, I liked Yuko calling Clow Reed a creep. She says, "The creep's blood relation, a cute young girl" owns the original staff. Was Sakura related by blood? I just read Cardcaptor Sakura, and I can't remember. I remember Syaoran was a direct descendent, but I can't remember Sakura being related by blood.

Also, Watanuki recognizes the staff. I hope Tomoyo's tapes hit the airwaves, and everyone in Sakura Kinomoto's universe got to see her getting Clow Cards!

OMF, Watanuki in the Legal Drug store! Hey, and what's up with this witchesandmagic.com? I wanted to check that website, but maybe I should wait until I get home. Is it a site for fans??

I squeed at Yuko's reference to Subaru as a kind, hard-working medium.

Volume 2
Interesting that Yuko calls Sakura and Syaoran as the "same, but of different worlds."

I love how dramatic she is with the Tsubasa characters, and then instantly wants a beer as soon as she's done. Yuko is hilarious. And what's she up to, anyway? Grooming Watanuki and Domeki to be master magicians like her and Clow Reed?

I love the funny dialogue, too:
Fortune Teller: "You are also very adept at housework."
Watanuki: "I've got nothing against it."

Watanuki's cooking is really good.....who else cooks well in CLAMP? Hotoko, Sakura's dad. Probably many others.

Bwahaha to Watanuki in Persocom ears!

Labels: , , , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 1:52 PM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment