wFeb 12, 2008


Yes, we can.

I have so many things I want to blog about - so many open tabs in windows of Firefox, so many stories to tell. But I guess I'll start with the Obama rally, as it's most immediate.

Firstly, I did take pictures, but I will not have time to upload them until tomorrow.

Barack Obama spoke at the Kohl Center on campus today, and I went with Steph to see him speak. Antoine also went with some co-workers, but I didn't get to see him until afterward because there were so many people. When set up for a basketball game, the Kohl Center seats 17,000 people, and 2,000 were on the floor. There was also an overflow room.

There was no clear direction outside as to what door to enter through. We joined a line in which people assured us that we would get let in first. Most people went down two large paths that led to a long row of doors along the front of the building, while our line wound around the TV cameras. People going straight for the doors kept streaming in, and eventually, we switched over to the front doors. Unfortunately, we ended up in the very top of the third tier of seating, behind the stage. The four-faced TV hanging above the middle of the floor allowed us to see Obama (and the irritating elementary school-girl making faces at the camera behind him) just fine.

Obama was introduced first by Bryon Eagon, the leader of Obama's campaign on the UW campus. I don't think I've ever actually spoken with him, but I'm about 90% certain that he and his brother went to the same LeadAmerica program that Chad and I went to the summer after we graduated from high school, in Washington, D.C. Apparently, he took it to heart when Bush's Deputy Chief of Staff recommended that we get involved in campaigns, :)

Following him was the field director for the Madison area, and then Governor Jim Doyle.

Links
Obama's speech was inspiring, but also didn't contain much new information. I think that the "Yes We Can" video going around is based entirely on his stump speech, because just about everything he said was basically the same. Obama's general point is that he's fully aware of the talk surrounding him, that he is too idealistic. He understands how much it would take to make his ideas work, and he's prepared to do it. He truly believes that America is in a place where it's prepared to be right there with him.

An article here about how Obama is eroding Clinton's base in Wisconsin by claiming college students and upper-class independents. Wisconsin Democratic Chairman Joe Weineke says, "Obama's got the momentum in this state, but I never rule out a Clinton."

Chelsea Clinton was on campus yesterday too, although I couldn't make it for that speech.

And lastly, continuing from my last post, there's yet another way why this campaign is similar to the one in West Wing. A government official has leaked government secrets about a space shuttle! But this time, I can't complain about how it's inconsistent with the character in question.

College is hard.
Anyway. Seeing Obama was tonight, so I didn't get home until 10pm, and last night was the Career Fair. Most of the paper that I handed in today was written between 2:30 and 3:30am last night. I have to get up at the ass-crack of dawn tomorrow, so you can pretty much tell where I'm at right now. I look forward to tomorrow, when I will spend more than 2 conscious hours in my damn bedroom.

Labels: , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:19 PM
2 comments
2 Comments:

I watched the McCain video you told me about. "Iraq withdrawl, 12,008. Good luck with that in November." lolz I also watched McCain's "No, you can't," which was funny but not quite as much, "Can I still get that lettuce picking job?" lol

Turns out I knew a lot of people on the floor last night. I kind of wish I'd have done that!

By Blogger Steph, at 11:26 AM, February 13, 2008  

So jealous. I really wanted to go, but I had my bowling league. I'm holding out hope that he wins the nomination, in which case he'll assuredly be back again and I'll so be there.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:38 PM, February 18, 2008  

Post a Comment