wJan 14, 2008


Son of a mother.

I am so damn tired. What the hell. Lest I expound for paragraphs about my day, I will use a bulleted list.

What I Did Today
--Went to work. Less co-workers today. Actually had to work. WTF.
--Left work early (didn't take a lunch) to go to bookstores for textbooks.
--All of the bookstores were useless. One didn't allow me to copy down what books where on the shelf for one of my classes because they were unpacking things from boxes, and "working." I'M PRETTY SURE WHEN I'M WORKING, I'M NOT A JACKASS ABOUT IT AND FORGOT ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE, KTHX. I have no idea where one of my English professors is having his books sent, because they were not at any of the bookstores. Some of us like to hunt down good deals at used bookstores! Bastards.
--Went to the post office. Spent lots of money. Gave them packages that aren't supposed to go to our address.
--Dropped off prescription at Walgreen's. Was stupid, and forgot health insurance card, and will have to return tomorrow.
--Made and ate dinner while watching Angel. OMG, Angel and Buffy are so good (seasons 2 and 5, respectively). I love Buffy season 5 much more than 4, so far. I think Angel also does much better when there is an over-arching plot.
--Went to Qdoba so I could see Antoine (who was eating dinner), and his new book, and show him how I got the complete Princess Tutu series in the mail today (OMG SO GOOD).

Blahhhh. I'm supposed to be doing things, like job-searching, or possibly caring enough to figure out what the eff I'm doing after I graduate. I suck. Maybe I'll just go to bed at like, 9pm. Fucking a, it already is 9pm. No wonder I'm tired!

Anyway. I need to close windows, and there are lots of things I'm too lazy to write up my own thoughts about, so links are what you get!

Last night, I watched Jane Austen's Persuasion on PBS, and am wondering if the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show is worth watching. I mean, Summer Glau being in it is almost reason enough in itself, as is the fact that Battlestar Galactica's composer Bear McCreary is doing the music, but comments are welcome!

An essay on recent book-to-movie adaptations, namely Beowulf and The Golden Compass. The writer thinks both films were brilliant, while I'm inclined to disagree. I've already written at length about Beowulf. I saw The Golden Compass last week, and overall, I enjoyed myself immensely, although I still feel the book is vastly superior. I also think that it was a hugely stupid decision to chop off the book's ending. Many think they're saving it for a second movie, but....I think the film may have been more successful with the big-bang ending that's in the book.

Speaking of book-to-movie adaptations. My friend Angela and I watched the BBC's recent remake of Jane Austen's Persuasion on PBS last night, and it was decent. I was not a fan of jiggly camera work, the rushed ending, or Anne Elliot's intense camera-gazing that occurred every 10 minutes, but it was okay. Also, Anthony Stewart Head (Giles, from Buffy) was a hilarious baronet, and made anything sucky worth it.
A gratuitous picspam of the entire movie, with commentary.
A scathing review!

An interesting article about young evangelicals embracing Mike Huckabee as their presidential candidate.

Promo material for the fourth season of Battlestar Galactica has surfaced, namely with a Last Supper-esque picture of various characters. You can see it here, although be warned that the commentary by Ron Moore in the magazine scans are very spoilery for seasons 1-3! The empty cup and opened/closed books intrigue me. Rampant speculation by fans can be read here and here.

This reminds me that I've still never blogged about what I thought about Battlestar Galactica: Razor. For now, you can read 's thoughts here, mostly pertaining to the way the show addresses queerness (Major spoilers for Razor and season 2).

On Saturday, I watched the Whisper of the Heart movie (Studio Ghibli) with Antoine and his roommate, and I remember how much I loved it. It might be my favorite Ghibli movie, but I'm not sure. I identify very strongly with the main character. It is so sweet, and amazing! Everyone should watch it!

Sometimes, lists help. Let's see if they do!

Things I'm Stressing About
--Anime Club needs fliers to post around campus. I have no skillz and no time. But it's looking life if I don't do it, nobody will. :/
--I need to change my bedsheets. Okay, I guess that's pretty easy.
--The senate is in session tomorrow. Not sure how lunch-eating works into all that, :/
--This career/job stuff is freaking me out like none other.
--Last semester, I took a shower at night instead of in the morning (morning being when I did it for the other 20 years of my life), but since Saturday, I've been doing it in the mornings and having better hair days. THIS IS A TOUGH DECISION.
--I have no idea what to wear tomorrow. Matching an outfit to our ugly blue blazers that are mandatory on session days is pretty tough.

I think blogging works better when I make smaller posts more frequently.

tl;dr my ass


Current Music: Country Road - Susumu Hirasawa (Whisper of the Heart OST)

Labels: , , , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 9:29 PM
5 comments
5 Comments:

IMPOSSIBLE! By sheer coincidence, unlikely though it seems, I watched Persuasion on PBS too! I have to say, reading P&P and watching Persuasion, I realized there certainly is an algorithm for Jane Austen's work. I figured it was ok to watch, since I probably won't read Persuasion. P&P appeals to the shameless girliness I try to hide and there is subtle genius in the writing style, but if the stories are the same I don't think I want to drudge through too many more Austen novels just to hear it again.

I can't believe how the zeitgeist took over on this one either. I too was like "whoa, don't like the way this is filmed," "Quit fucking staring and twitching, Anne!" "Giles! Whut? Stake Lady Russel, she's a vamp!" and don't even get me started on the picspam, it's like the blogger reached into my mind and pulled out all of my thoughts. So much running, fish lips, borg queen, so much ridiculousness, Dread Pirate Wentworth! lolol Speaking of which, he goes down in history as one of the only blondes I'll ever fancy.

Now I can't wait to watch both the BBC and Keira Knightley versions of P&P! (though I hear there is disparity in their worths) Fortuantely I'm more than halfway done w/ the book already.

Also, I want to be painted like the Last Supper as well!

By Blogger Steph, at 11:08 PM, January 14, 2008  

I have the Keira Knightley version of P&P if you want to borrow it. I like both versions. The BBC one is much more faithful to the book and has Colin Firth in a wet shirt, but the 2005 version is very.....pretty.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 7:04 AM, January 15, 2008  

Yes, The Sarah Connor Chronicles is definitely worth watching. Especially since Summer Glau is in it, like you mentioned. It pretty much kicks ass and you need to see it.

By Blogger Dave, at 11:12 AM, January 15, 2008  

Um, yeah the "queerness" of BSG....i agree. Sorry to hear your day sucked! Hope your shiznit gets better today. Miss you you and the people whom commented a lot!

Adios

By Blogger Unknown, at 12:16 PM, January 15, 2008  

Hmm, the Sarah Connor Chronicles looked pretty cool when I watched it with Paddy yesterday.

Also, hearing you worry about matching clothing and having bad hair days is pretty much the funniest thing ever. Don't know why.

By Blogger Tas, at 3:30 PM, January 15, 2008  

Post a Comment