wOct 30, 2007


Determine my life! Vote!

I never know if I should do NanoWrimo or not. I've never finished it, I've only participated while in college, and every time I did, it was to work on Ghost Hunters, a story about a group of high school students at a boarding school for the gifted out in the middle of nowhere, and their English teacher/adviser. They hunt ghosts! They also all speak in the same voice (mine!), and randomly angst out when I decide to hit word-count. Everything I've written for it (well, except for copious notes and sketches) is on that blogspot page.

Usually, during the middle of NanoWrimo, I end up dropping out because I get woefully behind due to university-related demands like homework, papers, and midterms.

If I did do it, I would continue to work on Ghost Hunters, as bad as it is. I have nothing else worked out in terms of a plot, or even an idea, and I still have lots of stuff I wanted to do with Ghost Hunters.

Writing is just....weird. I want to do it, and I want to get better at it, but even when I start out these NanoWrimos the last couple of years, or when I used to try short stories or emo high school poetry, I still always hated doing it, because with each word I wrote, I was fully aware of how much I suck. This is what happens when you have been an avid reader since the age of 6, and are extremely critical of the style of everything you read.

Anyway. Should I try and do it?

In terms of lol, my friend Jaci is writing a biography of my friend Gretchen, and I think I'm going to be in the story! I need to figure out what my biggest strength and weakness are.

Labels: , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:01 PM
3 comments
3 Comments:

I found your blog (a long time ago) thanks to Ghost Hunters, which I think is a great story.

Maybe you should try to just write within Nanowrimo's spirit and without worrying about word counts. You know: writing just for fun, l'art pour l'art--taking advantage of the fact that a lot of people's also writing.

Writing by just following true inspiration, just like it should be. Of course, I'd love to see more of Ghost Hunters.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 AM, October 31, 2007  

You should try and do it. Practice makes perfect.

By Blogger Gordon, at 2:01 PM, October 31, 2007  

I think Ghost Hunters has lots of potential, and I think you still have more to say about it, so you should totally go for it. No one will be upset with you if you don't get word counts or whatever- you ARE a college student, after all. Just keep going on it, and know I'll be doing it too and so will a bunch of others, and I'm excited to read more of your story!

also- OMG!!! New Joss show!! I heart Eliza Dushku! We should have weekly episode nights when it comes out. Whenever that is.

By Blogger Gretchen, at 5:13 PM, November 01, 2007  

Post a Comment