wJul 2, 2007


can you hear me out there?

Hmmm, I feel like I should post, but I don't know what to say. On Friday, Creighton, Carolyn, Antoine, and I hung out and played this neat card game that Antoine has. Kristy, Chad, and Jennifer came to visit on Saturday, so that was really nice because I haven't seen Jennifer in a long time, as she was in Spain all semester. We tooled around Trader Joe's, State Street, and Ella's Deli. I obtained some body wash at Trader Joe's, and feminist sci-fi at Avol's (2 novels by James Tiptree, Jr.!). Ice cream at Ella's was delicious.

People have been mooching my books like crazy for the last week at Bookmooch.com. I have like, 10 points to burn, but nothing on my wishlist is available (the two volumes of FLCL don't count 'cause they'd be from a different country, and would cost double the points. Although, I am proud of my wishlist. 117 titles in there, and almost all of them are manga.
More suggestions for my wishlist are welcome, although I do like to get comics/manga from Bookmooch over regular novels because they're harder to find, and generally more expensive even when used. Still, whatever you've got is good.

Antoine and I went out for dinner tonight, and ate Korean food. It was delicious, and I have enough leftover that I can eat it for lunch tomorrow, too.


Current Music: Winter Sleep - OLIVIA inspi' Reira (if there ever was a song whose lyrics hit depression on the head, this is it)

Labels: , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 10:49 PM
4 comments
4 Comments:

hmmmm... I am kinda of the opinion that manga from other countries is worth it... I mean, that's ~$15 you don't have to spend, for two points! Maybe that's only Hellsing that's that expensive...

also, the translations (can be? are?) a little off... I noticed that in my Hellsing from Sweden, they blur between "episcopus" and "bishop", for example...

KMJ

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:41 PM, July 03, 2007  

Yeah, Hellsing is on the expensive end. Most are $10, while a few (like NANA!) are only $8. I'm really glad that Marvel is publishing Runaways - I get a volume printed in color for only $8!!

You're probably right that manga from other countries is worth it.....I will meditate on this important decision in my life, :D

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 9:55 PM, July 03, 2007  

You should know that the novels were considered a disappointment to Tiptree fans, because they were written after she got exposed and she was primarily a short story writer. I recommend reading some short stories- the downtown library has some collections, I think. My favorites are "The Screwfly Solution" and "Love Is The Plan The Plan Is Death" and something about "Doctor Ain" and "We Who Stole The Dream". If you get to the novels let me know how they are, though!

By Blogger Gretchen, at 2:29 AM, July 04, 2007  

Oh no, that sucks! The back cover summaries made them sound really interesting, and I skimmed the first few pages, and liked the writing. I guess I'll see, being unspoiled as I've never read a Tiptree short story. Now I know that I should!

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 9:21 AM, July 04, 2007  

Post a Comment