wJun 19, 2007


This is my 4,093rd Blog Title. I'm running out of good ones.

Does anyone find it sad that in this article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the thing that I found most appalling is the fourth word of the article? Because it is not, in fact, a word. The past tense of the verb "light" is "lit." Not "lighted." I don't think 'lighted' is a word, ever. WTF, PEOPLE. Stuff like this makes me feel entitled to getting a fabulous job. Because I know things. I know which words are actually words, and I generally know how to employ them in sentences. I know how to engage in conversations without offending people. I KNOW HOW TO BEAT EVERY BOSS IN FF7. I need a part of my resume that's called "Special Skillz." Badass things would go there.

The Wisconsin legislature is having some hearings on the Frankenstein veto! I will have to tap the rumor mill at the Capitol and see what people think about it actually getting banned or not.

My co-workers are teaching me to play chess. Apparently, they find me so geeky that they are rather shocked that I don't know how to play. In other news, the desktop background on the mutual computer in the page room has been Cardcaptor Sakura for the last week and a half BECAUSE OF ME, THANK YOU. I win at life. That is all.

Labels: , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 10:28 PM
4 comments
4 Comments:

But I like using "lighted!"

Chess==awesome. We'll have to play sometime.

toodles

By Blogger Unknown, at 11:06 PM, June 19, 2007  

Special Skillz
-Can beat every boss in FF7.
-Has all the words memorized in FF7.
-Knows all 150 original Pokemon.
-Can find anything on the int4rw3bz in less than 8 seconds.

The signs of a new generation.

By Blogger Steph, at 11:29 PM, June 19, 2007  

Despite your strenuous objections,

"Usage Note: Lighted and lit are equally acceptable as past tense and past participle of light. Both forms are also well established as adjectives: a lighted (or lit) candle." (dictionary.com)

"Don’t fret over the difference between these two words; they’re interchangeable"
(http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/light.html)

and a slew of other sites say the same.

What the heck is the "frankenstein veto"?

no comments on your ability to not offend people :D

By Blogger Tas, at 7:59 AM, June 21, 2007  

Yeah, I dunno. As an adjective, I accept lighted. It can also be used as a verb in some cases, like, "He lighted across the floor." In my mind, I know it's correct, but to me, it's like when someone pluralizes 'fish' by saying 'fishes.' It's correct, but it just sounds....weird.

Yay, Ryan, we can play chess! I'm not good, but my fellow pages agree that I caught on quickly.

Steph, I was never into Pokemon. Let me name all the ones I can think of, off the top of my head: Pikachu, Charmander......yeah, that's all I've got.

Kristen: The Frankenstein veto means that the governor can take the budget and cross out whatever he/she wants to make it say what they want it to say. As the Wisconsin State Journal said, "In the last state budget, Gov. Jim Doyle lined out all but a few dozen unrelated words from among more than 750 words of text. The new sentence he created -- signed instantly into law -- allowed him to increase a state aid program by hundreds of millions of dollars more than the Legislature approved." It's a really absurd way for the governor to draft and pass their own legislation without work from the legislature itself.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 1:27 PM, June 23, 2007  

Post a Comment