wApr 7, 2007


A Tower of Babble

You can really tell when writing is a habit. Today, for instance, I feel unsettled no matter what I try to do, and I know it's because I need to write some of my thoughts somewhere. It's a good thing I maintain a blog, right?

All These Things That I've Done
On Thursday after work, I went to the library to get some audio books for my solitary journey. I was lucky enough to run into Gretchen, and meet her girlfriend Jo, who's visiting from Ireland (!). Yay! I picked more manga (duh) and ended up shooting in the dark and making some really nice audio book selections. I got a BBC production of "Lady Susan," which was a story written by Jane Austen told through a series of letters. It's not one of her six novels, so not as many people know it as well. Still, it's a fun story if you like Jane Austen (and a lot of pretentious English majors don't, for reasons I can't fathom. I don't consider her to be heavy or great literature, but you can't deny Austen's command over the English language. The stories are interesting, light, and fun reading.), and I highly recommend the audio version (I'm sure the written version reads nicely, too). It was read by a full cast of actors, so it was fun to listen to.

I also checked out "Dress Your Family in Courderoy and Denim," written and read by David Sedaris. I've been meaning to check out Me Talk Pretty One Day for some time, and this cements it for me. I think Sedaris might end up being one of my favorite authors.

I did some shopping at the outlet mall, which brought the rewards of a new pair of jeans, polo shirt, and pants that I can wear at work. All were needed, so that was good.

My sister and her family have moved into a new house, and it's really nice. It's a two-story house, and those have always seemed huge to me, who grew up in a one-story home. I've eaten two meals there so far this weekend, and will eat two more before I leave.

Last night, Kristy and Chad joined us at my sister's house and we watched "The Good Shepherd." It was a pretty good movie, although it was sad that the main character was kind of an emotionless jerk. Meh. Secret societies like Yale's Skull and Bones creep me out a lot. Also, why is it that in movies like these, it's always the kids at the top of their class at Ivy League schools who are tapped to head Secret Governmental Organizations? Wouldn't it be more prudent to pick average students at Ivy League-esque state schools? KIDS LIKE ME?! We would be much lower on the radar, you know. Much less suspicious. I would gladly be trained to do badass things in secret, although not the CIA. They tend to do jerkish things, like sensory deprivation torture, and assassinations and whatever. I'm not about that. But like, if I could be spirited away to foreign countries, and read manga or be a Senate Page to save the world? I WOULD TOTALLY DO IT.

I was doing awesomely on the homework situation, but somehow I'd forgotten about my Shakespeare class in the last 48 hours. Still, I've done enough that I think I'll be in a good position for the coming week.

I lament the fact that I can't bring all my books back to school with me. Even though I don't have room for any more, I'll be bringing more back with me. I'm confident that I'll be able to find a cheap bookshelf somewhere during the early summer. Summer! I will have time to browse garage sales, SWAP, and Goodwill. Oh man, I wish it was summer. Although, not quite yet. I need to formulate a plan for what this summer will be like and what I'd like to do during it. But still! Soon, the Farmer's Market will move outdoors again and I am so excited for that to happen! Fresh vegetables, pesto cheese curds that squeak in my teeth, fresh bakery, and other delicious things. It will be heavenly.

Even being home for just these few days, I'm glad I won't be here for another summer. I feel like I've taken all I can from this town, and I'm ready to be in Madison among friends for a summer.

Current Music: The End of Despair - Suneohair

Labels: , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 4:19 PM
2 comments
2 Comments:

While I've crossed off probably 30 of the 50 things on my to-do list from this semester (an incredible feat), I've only managed to read 2 pages in a 137 page book and I have a project due Tuesday which I haven't started and a whole notebook of drawings to make. Part of me wishes I could go back in time to do more homework and part of me doesn't give a shit. Monday will be a painful 24 hour day, I suspect. I imagine your staying most of the break in Madison had a large part to do with your success.

When does the farmer's market come back? Soon, isn't it?

As I continue to not find a job in Sheboygan, I wish I wasn't so attached to my family so I could stay in Madison (and that I could afford to pay rent and save money at the same time so I could stay in Madison). I keep hoping something will jump in my face out of nowhere.

I can't believe I'm going back tonight =(

By Blogger Steph, at 12:55 PM, April 08, 2007  

I think it comes back the weekend of April 21, or possibly the 28th. Some time in late April, anyway. Some of my co-workers at the Capitol probably know, seeing as how it surrounds it.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 11:26 PM, April 08, 2007  

Post a Comment