wApr 2, 2007


I did nothing today, and it was glorious!

A Note on the Sidebar (this applies to the blog only, and not the LiveJournal)
You'll notice that I've actually put a list of links on the sidebar so that you can re-visit posts at a later time, if you so choose. Eventually, I'll get a link to my archives back up, too. For now, though, you can see that there is in fact a method to my madness of post labels. I've listed general topics together, and then separated out the anime and manga labels. I find label-sorted tags to be very useful when I'm reading other people's livejournals (especially when they review anime and manga), so hopefully at least one of you will find it equally useful!

Epiphany of the Day
I write the intercessions for mass for St. Paul's, the Catholic church here in Madison that is practically on campus. Today, while working on the intercessions for the Easter Vigil mass, I read the following, which is part of the story in which God asks Abraham to sacrifice his son and then says, "Just kidding!":
God put Abraham to the test.
He called to him, “Abraham!”
“Here I am, “ he replied.
Then God said:
“Take your son Isaac, your only one, whom you love,
and go to the land of Moriah.
There you shall offer him up as a holocaust
on a height that I will point out to you.”

So! Where did Abraham have to go? Moriah.
I probably only thought of this because I'm currently rereading Lord of the Rings for my SciFi/Fantasy class, but where did the Fellowship have to go and sacrifice Gandalf (although that, too, was a "just kidding!" sacrifice)? Moriah. That Tolkien - what a whore!

Hiroki Endo's "Eden;" Volume 1
It's Spring Break, and that means that I have time to read at least a few volumes of manga. Yesterday, I was able to read the first volume of something that's been sitting on my shelf for a while, and that is Hiroki Endo's "Eden." I had found the book at HalfPrice Books, and had heard good things about it, so I picked it up. Luckily, those good things are true. Here, I will lazily transcribe the information on the back cover, but it is actually reflective of the style and story, so I feel justified in doing so.

Eden is both a brilliant love song to the post-apocalyptic survival genre and an exploration on humanity's role in the natural order. When a large portion of civilization is wiped out by a new virus, those who aren't immune are either severely crippled or live only with cybernetically enhanced or entirely mechanical bodies. Taking advantage of a world in chaos, the paramilitary Propater forces topple the United Nations and seek global domination. In this cutthroat, cyberpunk future, Elijah - a young boy on a personal quest - travels with an artificially intelligent combat robot through a pitiless, futuristic landscape.
Hiroki Endo's Eden is a garden of violence, pathos, and philosophy, where endearing, unique heroes face a constant struggle for survival and harsh surprises wait around every corner!


I guess that the series is a little comparable to Neon Genesis Evangelion. It is a post-apocalyptic world in which much of the world's population has been wiped out, the UN serves as a major character but has been subverted by an organization with ulterior motives, there are flashbacks that explain how the parents of the teenage protagonists were very much involved in instigating the events that propelled the world to where it is - etc.
At the end of this volume, the author's note explores the notion that he created this with his "leftover feelings" after watching Evangelion. Still, the story feels really fresh to me, and it is well-written in addition to being well-drawn.

As to whether or not the series will be good, I'll have to wait and see what exactly happened to the character in volume one. If nothing else, this first volume of the series does work nicely as a stand-alone, too. The first chapter serves as a set-up, but it is 116 pages in length. Chapters two and three take place 20 years after the first chapter, so obviously things have changed, and I'm not sure yet what happened to those characters to whom I became so attached to in chapter one. Still, I really want to find out! I will definitely continue reading this series to find out what happens.

Additional note: I've now read volume 2, and it is still awesome, and seems to have lost its Evangelion-esque-ness.

Labels: , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 10:50 PM
2 comments
2 Comments:

why do you always have such awesome designs for your blog.

By Blogger uriah heep, at 3:15 PM, April 03, 2007  

Thank you! It's actually always the same design....I just change the colors and the banner. AND....I actually stole this color scheme from a LiveJournal template. :D

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 3:29 PM, April 03, 2007  

Post a Comment