wMar 12, 2007


"This is ridiculous." "This is Versailles."

It's starting to be lovely outside. I've been warned that this won't last very long, but Sunday and today I wore flip-flop sandals all day long, and it was heavenly. I hate wearing socks. The fruit stand is back out on Library Mall, and that's good enough for me. There will be skirt-wearing tomorrow.

Sadly, I never have enough time in a day. I should have been asleep 90 minutes ago, so I won't have much time to write about all of the good things that have happened lately. On Saturday, Steph, Gordon, Antoine, and I made an elaborate meal of artichoke dip, fruit salsa, and spinach calzones. I took many pictures, which will be uploaded somewhere eventually. Probably Facebook. Sunday evening, Antoine's friend Andrew the Pirate invited us over with some other friends for a huge, whole turkey, along with sourdough bread made from scratch by Antoine's roommate, two pies (pumpkin and pecan) made by Andrew, and various other delicious types of food.

I do want to mention this, though. Today, I managed to watch (with Chad and Kristy, who is visiting us while on her Spring Break) Sofia Coppola's "Marie Antoinette" film, and I thought it was brilliant. The film has received a lot of crap for Antoinette being "flighty" (hello, she is a 14-year-old girl when she is sent off to France!).
I found the movie to be pretty accurate in terms of history, at least in terms of the random people, as well as Marie Antoinette's personal habits. I've spent a lot of time watching the anime Rose of Versailles, in which Marie Antoinette is a main character; I feel like this helped me followed the film a little bit better, which is a tad bit disjointed in its narrative structure. Everything is in order, but the transitions from one topic to the next is usually abrupt. Also, characters are not quite as thoroughly introduced here as they are in the 1979 anime series, :)
The movie has also received a lot of crap for its choice of modern music, as opposed to period music. I thought the music fit in perfectly with the mood of the film.
This film is fucking gorgeous, and I feel like I could watch it once a week for the rest of my life.
Still, I feel like not many people would enjoy it. I can't put my finger on why.

The last couple of days have been lovely, and I feel like that it's because of my ability to let go of my negative feelings and stress, and just relax. My friend Heather is going to come and visit me on Wednesday and stay the night, and I am excited about this. I wish I had more time during the week, though - I get off of work at 5:00 Wednesday and need to wake up again at 6:00 Thursday to go to work again. Oh well.

Labels: , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:46 PM
2 comments
2 Comments:

On Monday when I was walking to class I literally sighed the whole way. It felt sooo good to have nice weather!

I scored a slice of the leftover pie last night.

Y'know, I kinda wanted to see Marie Antoinette and just by watching the trailers I thought it might be beautiful but also not for everyone so I didn't go actively seeking it. Perhaps I actually will watch it, since you say you liked it.

Last night I went to the Spring Candy Making mini-course at the union. It was fun and now I want to make candy. If you see me before the weekend when I go home, you can have some (I'm sure it will not survive my family)! Today I ate a hard boiled egg and I got all excited. I love the fresh (and delicious) feeling of Easter! (Jesus isn't half bad either.) I'm sooo excited to get the hell away from this cesspool dorm and classes!

By Blogger Steph, at 12:41 PM, March 13, 2007  

I watched Marie Antoinette on the plane ride over! They only had it in Spanish and so at that point I didn't understand much, but even without much dialogue I still loved it because of the music and costumes and scenery. I did, however, recognize this post's entry as being from the movie. Yay!

By Blogger Jenny, at 5:01 PM, March 13, 2007  

Post a Comment