wFeb 13, 2007


my wish on a wing

I think it's really lame that neither Libby nor Cheney are testifying. Scooter Libby is getting fed to the wolves for something that is obviously someone else's fault, and it seems like there's not a damn thing anybody can do about it. What the hell.

My friend Elisabeth on LiveJournal has been talking to me about the SCA, and I think it's something that I would at least like to try. My only reservations, really, are the dressing up and creating a persona. It's just a tad odd, and the feelings of comfort would depend entirely upon the other people who attend meetings where I do. I feel that the group dynamic would be extremely variable from place to place. Still, I've always liked the female dress style from the medieval time period, and it would be neat to learn how to sew (especially 'cause stuff like that never fits people like me, who actually have busts!), and to do calligraphy, and to do sword-fighting, etc. It's something I'll try, and Antoine said he would too (he's interested in brew making, such as mead, which is something he tried a few months ago and would like to do so again). It'll have to wait until summer, though.

My first day of work was today! It's so wonderful - I think that I can safely say that this will be the best job I've ever had. The Wisconsin State Capitol is really a beautiful building, and it feels immense to me; it will take a while to learn where things are.
The people with whom I work also seem like they'll be really great to work with, and there are many more pages than I thought there would be. Also, frequently we get asked to run papers to other buildings in the immediate vicinity of the Capitol, which I think is cool because being outside while working is nice.
The only down-side so far is that a lot of my business casual/formal dress (the latter necessary for when I act as a bouncer/runner when senators are actually in the Senate Chamber) involve skirts and heeled shoes - neither of which work well when having to trudge through slush and below-30-degree-weather. Having only one pair of khakis is going to suck for a while. On the plus-side, I learned today that I can make it from the Capitol to campus in 20 minutes. If nothing else, the constant walking and stair-climbing that this job involves, along with that trek, should hopefully maybe help me slim down a bit.

Aside from that? Having a job in general is making life much more busy, obviously, but I sort of like it. Today was only my first day, but I feel much more fulfilled at the end of the day, having been a much more productive human being. I think that this will help me stay off of the Internet quite a bit as well, which is a plus.

There was a "Halloween Debriefing" meeting tonight, which mostly consisted of people from the city and the university reviewing the Madison plans to combat the students' history of flooding State Street in lewd costumes in a drunken state and be belligerent until needing to be dispersed with tear gas. My bone of contention was a list of lame rules that were suddenly made known to me a week before the even this past Halloween, causing Anime Club to change all of its plans at the last minute for the biggest night of the year. I have lots of email addresses to contact now, and I'm hoping that by being a total bitch (ie, not giving up), I can help to change the situation for similar student organizations for next year.

Anyway, I think I'll go to bed now and sleep for 9 glorious hours. I need it so badly!

Current Music: Wish - Olivia (as Reira, from NANA)

Labels: , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 10:52 PM
3 comments
3 Comments:

I slept for one half hour this afternoon, otherwise it's been 40 hours.

I feel like if it weren't for this blog, I would be so behind in your life that I wouldn't even know you anymore!

Howsabout we instigate a system where if you ever comment on any comments I leave in your blog, you email me to let me know, otherwise I always miss them.

By Blogger Steph, at 1:06 AM, February 14, 2007  

Hokai, but only if you post more often in your blog! 'Cause now you know things about me, but I'm like, Steph?! Who is she?!

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 8:37 AM, February 14, 2007  

I posted while I wasn't sleeping. Have you read it?

Yes, I like your icon very much. Maybe I should find an icon too.

By Blogger Steph, at 11:45 AM, February 14, 2007  

Post a Comment