wJan 2, 2007


Updation

First off: In my boredom, I've found a new TV show to watch! NBC has all 11 episodes of "Heroes" available streaming on their website. I guess we know what my new obsession will be! Last year it was Battlestar, and the year before that, Grey's. Now, Heroes! It looks pretty cool. The website also has supplementary comics to go with the show!

New Year's Eve
New Year's Eve was a good time! Jennifer finally returned from her Tennessee/Michigan travels, and we gathered at Kristy's house for the Packer game and The Office. OMF, watching Brett Favre was the saddest thing EVER. I don't really care about professional sports very much....I used to be really into football when I was 8, until I was about 11 or so, but now I don't really care about it too much unless I'm at a game (be it Packers or Badgers). Still, though, my parents have always lived in Green Bay, and until college, so did I. It's kind of scary how fanatical people get about the Packers here.....but I guess it's better than a sadistic religious cult or something.
Anyway! New Year's Eve was full of good food, good friends, hilarious episodes from The Office season 2, and me periodically blowing my noise-maker to wake up Kristy, who kept falling asleep on the couch. I was pretty giggly, and I didn't even have any alcohol! I think I was just really happy because I got to talk to Antoine for a while, :)

Do I have anything else to talk about except for anime and manga? Of course not! Okay, so here we go!

Kiki's Delivery Service
I found this at the library, and rented it to watch with my sister's children. Unfortunately, they had to go home after we ate dinner (we were at my parent's house), so I still need to go over there some time this week and watch the last 40 minutes. I finished it by myself because I couldn't wait, bwahaha!

I don't know why, but I was expecting this movie to focus a lot on magic and fantasy storylines. I guess that makes sense, as the main character happens to be a witch. I should know better by now, that with movies made by Studio Ghibli, these will never be the focus of the films. The plot centers on Kiki, a 13-year-old witch setting out for her mandatory 1-year term of making it on her own in a city she's never been to before. It is a coming of age story, with themes of friendship and adolescent romance thrown in as well. I watched the English dub partly so that I could watch it with Olivia, Dylan, and Amelia, but also because I really prefer watching anime dubbed when the English dub is good - unfortunately, it rarely is. Kirsten Dunst starred as Kiki, and Debbie Reynolds, Phil Hartman, Matthew Lawrence, and Janeane Garofalo also contributed their voice talents to the cast.

My nieces and nephew haven't watched the last 40 minutes yet, but from what they saw, they liked it. This was their 2nd film that was worked on by Hayao Miyazaki, though, and Mia especially had problems with the fact that although the drawings of the people looked similar to those of My Neighbor Totoro, they were, in fact, an entirely different cast. I will admit that Kiki looks a lot like Satsuki, from My Neighbor Totoro. Mia kept asking, "Where is her little sister?! Why is she not here?!" Eventually, though, I think she understood it was a totally different story.

I loved this movie, and I think it's up there as one of my favorite Studio Ghibli movies. I think the only one I haven't really cared for so far was Castle in the Sky.

Pretear
I really don't care for this anime. At all. It looked cute and original, promising to be a "modern retelling of Snow White," but it's really a story that's full of anime cliches. I gave it a chance for 2 episodes. I watched 3-5 on fast-forward. The series got more interesting in the second DVD, but it is still not "good." It seemed cool at first, with the elements borrowed from Cinderella and Snow White, but it wasn't. It is a story that has been done many times: this girl suddenly discovers that she is "the Pretear," and has magical powers to fight against a random enemy. She is joined by 7 boys that we know nothing about! One of them is broody/angsty, and gets close-ups of his face when he says something mean to the protagonist! They fight against weird ugly monsters! One of her step-sisters has "amusing hijinks" and the other one is angsty and susceptible to being attacked!
Also, I find her transformation sequence and "joining" with her male friends to be pretty creepy.
I don't recommend this anime at all! Don't waste your time - seriously, Sailor Moon is better in all departments except for animation quality. Unfortunately, I still have 4 episodes to go. I watched this much, I might as well get some closure. I'm not doing much else these days, :)

Current Music: Kirari*Seeraa Doriimu - Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon main theme

Labels: , , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:07 AM
2 comments
2 Comments:

You need a job.

OMG it's really Steph but once upon a time I subscribed to blogger with a different s/n so I could make a joke blog to use on my door decs for school. For some odd reason it's automatically signed into this account, even though I've been signed in to my real account for the last 6th months continuously. Oh well, I want you to read the entry so go ahead and click on tinabina.

I can't believe you've never seen Kiki's delivery service. I've seen it 3 times on basic cable tv alone and I'm not all that into Miyazaki.

I've been meaning to contact you, but I spent all last week Christmasing/hibernating, and today I've come down with a terrible cold so I don't think I want to do any phone calls. Rest assured, I will always read your blog.

By Blogger Steph, at 3:42 PM, January 02, 2007  

Oh man, that's probably the best blog entry I've ever read in my LIFE.

Also, I do have a job! I'm scheduled for a grand total of 8.75 hours this week!

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 12:06 AM, January 03, 2007  

Post a Comment