wJan 29, 2007


I must write here more often

I haven't blogged in nearly a week, which I know is sad for you, Blog Reader, as it has been an exciting week.

Class
Firstly, I'll write on my other 2 classes, since I already wrote about my other 3.
The Victorian Novel - This class is very formulaic. The professor has us write summaries for every reading assignment, and small in-class paragraphs every class session. It should feel like high school, but it's actually rather therapeutic for me, who is used to writing only on midterms, finals, and occasional papers. Also, this professor breaks the reading down into reasonable pieces from one lesson to the next instead of saying something like, "Read all of Wuthering Heights by next Tuesday." We're reading Jane Eyre right now, and I am in love. Why have I never read these books before? Yet, as with Austen's Pride and Prejudice and Charlotte's sister Emily's Wuthering Heights, I really don't think that I would have appreciated these books at an age much younger than I am right now. I don't know why, but I'm confident in this.
19th Century Scandinavian Writers - This is the online class I'm taking. It's interesting because, obviously, it's writing from the same time-period as the Victorian Novel class, so there are many common themes. It seems as though not everyone enrolled is familiar with using online messageboards, so I feel that I have a definite advantage in this regard. Also, it is possible to earn 150% in participation for each lesson. I intend to this!

Basically, my homework assignment for each of my five classes is: "READ!" Luckily, it's lovely reading for every one of them, although I think that this slow slogging through The Diary of Anne Frank is going to get to me after a while. I have been interested in the Holocaust since I was a child, yet I think that the first time I had a real, emotional reaction was this past Friday when we watched a short movie in class. How can human beings be so cruel to one another? I don't know.

Other Things Pertaining to Me
I spent most of this weekend with Antoine, and didn't get quite as much homework done as I should have, but I don't regret it. I feel that time spent cuddling and falling-asleep-on-his-shoulder is time well spent.

Anime Club
The first meeting of the semester for Anime Club was last night, and it was successful. There was one point during the night, after a conversation with some people I haven't seen in a while, at which I looked at the lecture hall we were occupying and realized how many people considered themselves members of this Club that I have belonged to since the second weekend of my freshman year of college - how many of them I would consider friends (not all necessarily of the 'I would trust you with my life' closeness, but close enough that we'll leave Club to get dinner on State Street together, or complain about classes together, or compare favorite anime series together), and then realized that I was the Club President. I know that Anime Club would continue without me if I couldn't make it for some reason, but I like to think that I've done a passable job of getting things a little bit more organized.

Our Club has a pretty intense process of selecting which anime to show during a semester - first, members submit series they own on fansub (only if the show isn't licensed in the U.S.) or DVD through our online forum. Then, forum members vote online to narrow the submitted series (usually 25-35 series are submitted) to 6 or 7. Then, at the first meeting of the semester, the first episode of each of these series is viewed. We then vote, and the top 3 series are The Chosen Ones. We watch 2 episodes per Saturday, and then finish the night with a movie or sampler of a long series. It takes a while for one to adjust to taking in 5 hours of anime in a single night, but somehow, it works.

And for all the geekiness that hangs about the members who attend, it is almost amusing how often members of Club pair up together and start dating. Of course, this makes for great pauses in conversation when telling high school friends or family members about my boyfriend.
"So, how did you meet him?"
"Oh, we met at Anime Club."
"Anime?"
"You know, Japanese cartoons?"
"......"
"But he's not, like, socially awkward, you know? He can function in a group!"

Ah, yes. So. Today, I was pretty productive. I did two loads of laundry, changed the sheets on my bed, cleaned the living room and the kitchen, cooked myself a nice dinner, did some homework, made hand-outs for the Anime Club table for tomorrow's campus Student Organization Fair, and watched Battlestar Galactica.

Speaking of Battlestar Galactica. Here are my thoughts on tonight's episode.

Current Music: The Day the Wind Blows - Escaflowne "lovers only" album

Labels: , , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 12:07 AM
1 comments
1 Comments:

It's kind of a shame that the voting process can't be more relaxed at anime club, but I think the change was essential to its evolution. Sometimes I thought that maybe it all happened because we joined up and wouldn't conform, but really I think the group just got to the point where it was so large that tastes were so diverse and people could no longer have faith that eventually they'd get around to watching stuff they liked. I believe it's like this in every organization. I don't feel bad that we went in and changed things because I think without the change the group would have remained limited by its organization. Anyway, that's just what I was thinking about and I'm glad that you can enjoy it.

By Blogger Steph, at 12:43 PM, January 29, 2007  

Post a Comment