wJan 22, 2007


First day of Spring 2007 Semester

So. I'm still alive. I'll type about my classes in reverse order....
Shakespeare is going to be even better than last semester! We are spending 2 weeks on Hamlet! I could die of excitement. Also, I sit by Gretchen! And we look at each other with pure squee whenever our old professor says something endearing.
Fantasy and Science Fiction - the jury is still out. Finding the classroom was very amusing, though. I poked my head in and did and eye-sweep to see if the room was what I thought it was. In less than a second, I knew that I was surrounded by geeks. At this point, I have a pretty good radar. Being Anime Club president does that to a person.
At least the reading list is still fun. I find it intriguing that the prof classifies Homer's "Odyssey" as part of the fantasy genre - I would have considered it to be myth. What's the difference between fantasy and myth? What's the difference between fantasy and science fiction? I had never given conscious thought to the latter question, although they have always been two very separate genres in my opinion. When I thought about it in class, I think that the distinction for me is that "Fantasy" seems to bring to mind images of grassland and casting magic spells, whereas "Science Fiction" means guns, space travel, or trippy scientific threads of thought.
Anne Frank - My prof is the head of the Dutch department, and it seems like the class will be very scholarly, which I like. I'm more excited for this than I thought that I would be. Apparently, though, I'm the only person in the class who read the book for pleasure as a child, as opposed to being forced to read it for class and then loving it.

Tomorrow at 10:00am, I have my interview at the Capitol for my internship! Again, I'm 95% sure it's just a formality and we'll be figuring out a schedule. Still, I'm really nervous. I already have a lunch packed and my clothing laid out....I'm afraid of getting my shoes covered in slush, but I don't want to bring a spare pair because I would have no place to put it that would keep things neat. At least I only have one class, so I know I can walk slowly and try to keep the shoes clean. I'm nervous, but my past experience with political internships does give me the confidence that I won't make any serious blunders. Although I might giggle a bit if I randomly walk by the Governor in a hallway or something (my 2 different internships for the last couple summers were both with his opponent in the most recent gubernatorial election).

Oh yeah! Today when I was leaving my last class, I walked past the chancellor of the university in the hallway. Well, I was excited.

The end.

Current Music: Split - Suneohair

Labels: ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:23 PM
2 comments
2 Comments:

So was it a formality? Where are my pictures?

By Blogger Unknown, at 10:30 PM, January 28, 2007  

I don't know if I got it for sure yet or not, :/

I was scared when I went for the interview! I got there early and hid in the bathroom for 35 minutes.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 12:42 AM, January 29, 2007  

Post a Comment