wNov 30, 2006


:)

I bring you a post that was written last night, but was not posted until now because I fell asleep!

Productivity and Shakespeare Movies
I have been incredibly productive the last couple of days. I've been reading voraciously for school, and have also watched two Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare films - Henry V and Much Ado About Nothing. I love Much Ado About Nothing so much! Mostly I like watching Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh being Benedick and Beatrice. Both of them are so pretty, and so good at delivering their lines! I don't really care about anybody else in the play anyway, ;) The ending of the movie makes me want to call up all of my friends so that we could join hands and dance in a circle whilst being showered with white flower petals. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS.

I think that Hero is a most excellent name for a female. Even though I like the character Beatrice better (like, wtf, who falls in love with someone because someone *else* woos you?! And after everything Claudio did, how could she still love him?), 'Hero' just sounds wonderful. If I ever have a daughter, then perhaps I will name her Hero.

Henry V was also pretty fun. Kenneth Branagh with eyeliner! Because how can you be a warrior king without eyeliner? I didn't know he could be badass, but he definitely can. He pwned the Earl of Cambridge and the other rebels. It was sad watching him betray his own old friends, though. :/ Oh Shakespeare and your multi-faceted characters.

I need advice
I am seriously considering getting a Netflix account. I went to Four-Star today to rent Henry V and Much Ado About Nothing and forked over $9.00. Blockbuster and Family Video and etc. always have really limited selections, too. It's ridiculous. Netflix is only $9.99 per month for unlimited rentals of 1-DVD-at-a-time, and they do have lots of anime, too, so I definitely know that I would use it. I would never have to worry about returning the DVDs by a certain time, and it seems like they have lots of old stuff, too, so I can continue to watch adaptations of Shakespeare plays while taking my Shakespeare classes for the rest of this semester, and then in the spring (yes, I read the plays first). Can anybody give recommendations/warnings about it?

Other Developments
Today, I declared my 2 certificates (aka: minors) at my university. They are (dundunDUNNNNN): Global Cultures and European Studies. Apparently, a lot of random classes I've been taking fulfill the Global Cultures certificate. Also, go figure: many of my English class count towards the European Studies certificate. The best news is that my Spanish credits count towards both certificates, so they counted towards something! Yays. I was really excited.

Also, this afternoon I was able to sign up for "Literature in Translation: Fantasy and Science Fiction." It counts towards my Global Cultures certificate, bwahaha! I need to keep scouring the timetable so that my whole schedule ends up badass. So far it seems like my classes will be nice, though. AND HERE'S WHY:
Fantasy and Science Fiction Tentative Reading List, According to the Website:
Lucian of Samosata: True History
Thomas More: Utopia
Jonathan Swift: Gulliver's Travels
Mary Shelley: Frankenstein
Hope Mirrlees: Lud-in-the-Mist
J.R.R. Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings
H.P. Lovecraft: At the Mountains of Madness
C.S. Lewis: The Space Trilogy
Ray Bradbury: Selected Short Stories
Harlan Ellison: Deathbird Stories
Jorge Luis Borges: Fictions
Alan Moore: Watchmen

HELLS, YES. Tolkien, H.P Lovecraft, C.S. Lewis, Ray Bradbury, and Alan Moore. If that's not a list of Badass, then I don't know what is.

Shakespeare class
Will be exactly like the Shakespeare class I'm taking now (same format, time, and professor) except that it's plays from 1600 on. So, we'll read things like Hamlet and King Lear and Macbeth and other wonderful angsty tragedies. Bwahahaha!

19th century English novel class
In which we read Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Alice in Wonderland, and other stuff. I keep getting warned about ridiculous amounts of busy-work, though, so I'm signed up for a back-up course, which is:

Select Major Modern Poets
In which we read poetry by badass people like T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, William Carlos Williams, e.e. cummings, and other people. I love T.S. Eliot, but I actually hate poetry, for the most part. Which is why this class is a back-up, :D

I Still Need...
Classes for my European Studies certificate. I'm signed up for 2 ILS classes right now, but they don't seem badass enough. I'll have to scour.

Random
There was a nice article about Clamp in the New York Times yesterday.

Labels: , , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 8:52 AM
1 comments
1 Comments:

The family I nanny for got Netflix when she was pregnant with the triplets and on bed rest. They planned to cancel it once she had the triplets but she loves it!Sometimes she gets 2 movies and doesn't want to watch one so she puts it right back in the mail and gets the next one on her list. I'm not sure about financial stuff but she said it's pretty fast and she can get two at a time so she always has one "waiting". So, they are the only people I know with it, and they love it. Hope all else is well~Kayla

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:15 PM, November 30, 2006  

Post a Comment