wOct 25, 2006


:)

The Honey & Clover anime has been licensed by VIZ! (This means it will be released on DVDs in the United States)

THERE IS A GOD.


Current Music: Ride - The Dandy Warhols

EDIT: Viz's description of the series is somewhat troubling, though:
Yuuta Takemoto is a second-year art student who thinks about the same things most college students do: sleeping, eating, studying, and worrying about his roommates, But Yuuta, money-hungry Morita and Mayama the ladykiller are about to be thrown for a loop in this offbeat, hip comedy when Hagumi Hanamoto, the niece of one of their professors, comes on the scene!

Is Honey & Clover primarily a comedy? I certainly don't think so. I mean, there are comedic moments when the series is absolute hilarious, but I think that as a whole, I would categorize the series as a drama.

Also, they make Takemoto sound like a pretty insensitive guy in that all he does is sleep, eat, study, and worry only about his roommates' problems. I mean, he does do all of these things, but it kind of demeans the beautiful sensitivity that makes the character who he is. His monologues were always poignant, and a huge part of the series is his own love for Hagu!

Who is "Yuuta"? Yamada's first name is "Ayumi," isn't it? Hmmm....

Morita is not money-hungry! And Mayama is definitely not a "ladykiller." I don't even know what that means.

Labels: ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 10:13 PM
3 comments
3 Comments:

I remember hearing Yuuta when Takemoto went home to see his mother, obviously Yamada is called Ayu by Hagu and everybody calls Hagumi Hagu, the professor is called Shuu (Shuuji) by his colleagues and Hagu, and naturally we all remember the Shi-no-bu escapade when Morita was a singer, but I seriously don't know that I've heard Mayama's first name. I guess it's Takumi, which doesn't fit him in my opinion. Nomiya's first name is also Takumi. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

note: I'm using first name in American standards because I feel like it. What would it be called really, a "given name?" Guess what? I don't care!

By Blogger Steph, at 12:47 AM, October 26, 2006  

I wouldn't worry about Viz's import too much. The description sounds like that because it's what back-of-the-box descriptions always do - oversimplify everything and amplify the aspects that the suits think will attract an American audience. I'm sure the actual show itself will be intact. They'll just make it sound stupid in an effort to embarass real fans.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:01 PM, October 27, 2006  

Steph: I do remember him being called Yuuta now that you mention it. And yeah, I knew Mayama/Nomiya had the same first name. I liked Nomiya a lot more the second season. You need to watch it so that we can squee over it!

Also, it turns out that this licensing announcement was from Viz Europe, so it's actually still not licensed here yet, :( And Anonymous, you're probably right. It would be nice, though, if they had a decent dub that reflected the mood of the show. Hopefully this happens!

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 7:53 PM, November 01, 2006  

Post a Comment