wSep 27, 2006


The Post That Blogger Ate...Regenerated from my Steel-Trap Mind

I think this is really cool! Yale is going to offer syllabi and video feeds of lectures for free online for anybody to use. If I didn't have my own classes to worry about, I would totally be into that.

Sucks to be my high school's football team!

I finally resized and uploaded those pictures of my room. So, you can look at them. Just click here. The page includes commentary by yours truly, :)

Anyway, those are the 3 things that I had on the docket to go in the blog, and I don't have a whole lot else to say. Yesterday, for whatever reason, I was pretty restless and unfocused and didn't get very much done. I unintentionally fell asleep twice in my bed.

Today, however, has been very different. I got a lot of reading done before I went to class, and promptly found a cage to sit in at Memorial Library to get even more done. In those two chunks of time, I read all of a Shakespeare play and 3 pieces by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The Shakespeare play was "The Two Gentlemen of Verona." The notes in my book hyped it up for being a huge piece of suck, but I didn't think it was too bad. I really enjoyed how it debate whether friendship or love is more important. I'm sure I'm speaking from personal experience here, but friendship is totally more important than love. In most cases, your friends have been there for you longer. In most cases, unless you're married or something (and with today's divorce rates, even then!), your friends will be there for you in the future for longer. Being in love has the potential of making you act like kind of a dick.
This paragraph sounded so much better the first time I wrote it, and for that I apologize whislt simultaneously flipping Blogger off.

Anyway. I've read bits of Emerson before, probably in various high school English courses. Today, I found "Nature" and "The Divinity School Address" to both be kind of meh. "Self-Reliance," however - holy shit. I need to find a copy of this for my own. It's pretty short, so it shouldn't be too hard. I'll have to scour the local used bookstores, :) For lack of anything intelligent left to say, I will simply post my favorite parts from it. These don't all come from the same page - each paragraph is lifted from somewhere new.
My life should be unique; it should be an alms, a battle, a conquest, a medicine.

I must be myself. I cannot break myself any longer for you, or you. If you can love me for what I am, we shall be the happier. If you cannot, I will still seek to deserve that you should. I must be myself. I will not hide my tastes or aversions. I will so trust that what is deep is holy, that I will do strongly before the sun and moon whatever inly rejoices me, and the heart appoints. If you are noble, I will love you; if not, I will not hurt you and myself by hypocritical attentions. If you are true, but not in the same truth with me, cleave to your companions; I will seek my own.

Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. Its progress is only apparent, like the workers of a treadmill. It undergoes continual changes: it is barbarous, it is civilized, it is christianized, it is rich, it is scientific; but this change is not amelioration. For every thing that is given, something is taken. Society acquires new arts and loses old insticts....Society is a wave. The wave moves onward, but the water of which it is composed, does not.


So. Emerson kicks ass.

PS: OMG, they're releasing pictures from the fifth HP movie and it's making me excited. They'd better not eff this movie up! It was my favorite book!

Current Music: Cozy in the Rocket - Psapp, Fugainaiya - YUKI
scribbled mystickeeper at 5:49 PM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment