wJul 12, 2006


Spaz-out, Jump-Starting my Life, and Playing the Piano (not at the same time)

OMG, I am definitely going to Madison this Saturday-Sunday for one of the thrice-summerly Anime Club gatherings. At these gatherings, the Club watches things on both Saturday afternoon/evening/night and on Sunday. But since it's summer, it doesn't have to be anime. Everyone was very excited in the forums about the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, so a "swashbuckling" theme was suggested, and now movies such as 3 Muskateers, Muppet Treasure Island, Count of Monte Cristo (YES, PLEASE!), Princess Bride, Zorro, and various silent films have been suggested.
ALSO: Ryan, Louise and I were discussing that it would be fun if you came along - I think you're the only one of my friends who would be interested in the massive geek-fest that is Anime Club. We will be staying at Louise's parents' recently-purchased-currently-empty house, which has a pull-out couch and a regular couch (you would get the regular couch, I'm assuming).
So, the Hugest Thank-You Ever to Creighton/Carolyn for offering their futon, but I don't think I will need to impose on you. I'll definitely be calling you, though, some time this week to tell you when we'll arrive there (3ish?) and figure out when we should eat things (because I want to see you. And by 'you,' I mean Carolyn, :D). I also want to go to Avol's, and since Antoine has never been there, we should make him go too. But yeah, I'll call you.

I really enjoy how my blog is the main mode of communication between my friends.

Now back to the post I began writing before I spazzed out when Louise im'ed me.

I wouldn't say that I have been depressed lately - that is an entirely different state of being and I know it well. I am content with my family, my friends, the places I live, and my hobbies. I have 2 jobs and an internship that I keep for various reasons. What I have been disgusted with lately, though, is who I am. No, not even that - I do like who I am. I guess what I dislike is my lack of direction and my refusal to commit to reality. It was good to kick back yesterday, on a day off from everything, but I didn't even accomplish stupid things, such as "Watch at least one DVD you've rented from the library." I wasted a lot of time online. And I am sick of wasting my time.

One of my summer goals has been to become reacquainted with the piano. I took piano lessons for 10 years, and I guess I was proficient at it. I miss it a lot. So, today I sat down. I didn't stay long (in middle school and high school, I think the general understanding with my teachers was to practice 30-45 minutes per day). I started with a Hanon exercise (Hanon has warm-up techniques for better fingering) and then worked on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (which still gives me flashbacks to Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon). It's amazing how well I can still hear the voices of my teachers (my first teacher moved to Florida around when I started high school, so I've had two) telling me, "Slow down - first you need to play the piece slowly and in rhythm, and only then can you make the tempo what it should be and then add in rubato for feeling." I forgot how much I think about other things when I sit on that bench trudging through pieces. So, that was a pleasant start to something that will hopefully become a practice. Part of the reason why I haven't played very often is because for whatever reason, I can't stand people listening to me when I play, even my parents. Now, it's probably embarassment because after essentially not playing for two years, I'm pretty terrible. So I waited until Mom left the house for a haircut and Dad was in the shower. Needless to say, opportunities such as this may be hard to find on a regular basis.

Kristen/Gretchen: I think one of the people on my LJ Friends list is part of the WisCon thing - feminist SciFi stuff. But anyway, there is Feminist SciFi Wiki. I haven't had time to poke around yet, but it looks cool.

Finally, life would be a lot lesss stressful if people could like, tell me things I need to know when I ask them. There are no less than 5 situations that have occurred within the last few weeks to this nature, and it really pisses me off.

Remember how I made a DeviantArt account just so I could keep track of my favorites? I keep finding more and more. How can so many people make such beautiful art? Every time I look at that page, I open up each picture and stare at them. I get sucked in for like, half an hour.

Anyway, I really need to get to sleep. Today was a good day. Tomorrow will be too.
scribbled mystickeeper at 12:32 AM
5 comments
5 Comments:

thanks for the INVITE!!!!!!!!

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:31 PM, July 12, 2006  

Creighton: I can bring the hobbit cloak that Steph made me for Christmas. (Yes, I am such a geek)

Ryan: *CACKLES*

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 9:35 PM, July 12, 2006  

PS to Creighton: Should we also bring a defibrillator for Randy? I don't know how well he's going to take to the news, lol!

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 10:39 PM, July 12, 2006  

Yay Ryan's coming!

And as for the other part...watching that reaction should be interesting...

By Blogger Louise, at 12:52 PM, July 13, 2006  

*hugs you to bits* WOOOHOOO!!!! feminism-y stuffy things... *conks out* zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

loves
KMJ

By Blogger Tas, at 10:19 AM, July 15, 2006  

Post a Comment