wJun 30, 2006


Take my revolution

I normally don't post about every minor change to the sidebar of this blog, but I felt that it was necessary to explain my new user icon. I can see how one would look at it and assume that the girl, Utena, is looking at the prince because she is in love with him, and ready to wilt at his side like a flower.

This is not the case, though.

I just finished watching the series Revolutionary Girl Utena, and holy shit was it good. I kept thinking that I had the end figured out, but every 30 seconds, the anime would do something way out of left-field. This show kicked ass in major kinds of ways - loads of symbolism, confrontation of gender issues, a good plot, kickass characters, and the list goes on.

Also, if I hadn't just cried last night (yes, that's what inspired my cryptic blog post - if I could explain it here, I would! You are as clueless as I am), I would say that I can't remember the last time I cried that hard. Seriously. I wasn't expecting it, either. But....whoa.

Anyway, I will now explain what the picture means, as that was the goal of the post.

Once upon a time, years and years ago...
There was a little princess, and she was very sad, for her mother and father had died.
Before the princess appeared a traveling prince riding upon a white horse.
He had a regal bearing and a kind smile.
The prince wrapped the princess in a rose-scented embrace and gently wiped the tears from her eyes.
“Little one,” he said, “who bears up alone in such deep sorrow, never lose that strength of nobility, even when you grow up.”
“I give you this (a ring with a rose seal that Utena still wears) to remember this day. We will meet again. This ring will lead you to me, one day.”

Perhaps the ring the prince gave her was an engagement ring.
This was all well and good, but so impressed was she by him that the princess vowed to become a prince herself one day.

But was that really such a good idea?


So, yes. Utena may be a fictional character, and many of you may not have any idea why the hell I am so enamored with anime. But just know that Revolutionary Girl Utena is my new personal hero. And it's okay to want to be a prince, even if you're a girl.

Current Music: Nakayoshi - Spitz

Labels:

scribbled mystickeeper at 12:58 AM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment