wJun 19, 2006


I want to keep destroying lies

I love the Internet.

Ryan, Louise, and I have made plans for this Saturday. And you are welcome to join us. Yes, you. Even Kristy's mom is invited. We're meeting at my house at 4:30 pm, and will then go eat dinner at the Thai restaurant on Broadway. We will then watch the movies FF7: Advent Children and Blade Runner. IT WILL PWN, and I need more things to look forward to this summer. So, there we go.

I'm still trying to fit writing into my life. I've been doing a good job of saturating my all of the time that's not spent at work or with friends with anime and comics. I've finished rereading Runaways, along with the new volume 5, and have just finished the fourth volume of The Sandman. I need a comic-break, so hopefully now, I can finish Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters. I've been renting lots of random anime from the library every week. This week it's the first DVDs of Stellvia and X (I need a CLAMP fix!), and a Miyazaki film called "Whisper of the Heart." I've never heard of it, but the synopsis reads Shizuku lives a simple life, dominated by her love for stories and writing. One day she notices that all the library books she has have been previously checked out by the same person: 'Seiji Amasawa'. Curious as to who he is, Shizuku meets a boy her age whom she finds infuriating, but discovers to her shock that he is her 'Prince of Books'. As she grows closer to him, she realises that he merely read all those books to bring himself closer to her. The boy Seiji aspires to be a violin maker in Italy, and it is his dreams that make Shizuku realise that she has no clear path for her life. Knowing that her strength lies in writing, she tests her talents by writing a story about Baron, a cat statuette belonging to Seiji's grandfather. Sounds like I will like it! Seriously, how many films has Miyazaki made? And how can they all be so wonderful?! We'll see if I can convince any of my friends to watch it tomorrow. Just because a movie is animated does not mean it's terrible, nor that it's meant for children. YOU CAN GET OVER IT, I PROMISE.

Anyway, as promised, here is the first in my Good Things Recommended by Jackie series. I was going to do a huge thing at the end of the summer, but then I realized that it would be really mean of me to do that right before going back to school. So, here are my thoughts on Revolutionary Girl Utena, complete with snazzy pictures. A box will be added to the sidebar so that everyone can always know what I recommend. Because I said so.

Tomorrow, I have to drive my mom to work for 7:00 (suck) because Dad's truck is getting work done on it. The cleaning lady (shut up; before college, I was the cleaning lady) comes tomorrow morning. Normally, this would mean I would sleep on the couch in the basement, but I have to work so early tomorrow that it won't even matter! This is sad. I actually work a real shift at my job tomorrow, though, which means I'll get real breaks.

I don't know why I'm in such a good mood lately, but I'm okay with it.

Current Music: Lo How a Rose 'Ere Blooming - Catie Curtis

Labels:

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:15 PM
5 comments
5 Comments:

I hate to break it to you, but not everything Miyazaki made is good. Pom Poko was about shapeshifting raccoons that use their ball-sacks as parachutes. I AM NOT KIDDING. It was the most bizarre and terrifying anime I think I have ever seen.

However, I have not seen Whispers of the Heart, so maybe it's badass.

The Thai place is awesome! Louise and Ryan and I ate there last summer!!!!! Have fun, y'all!

By Blogger Gretchen, at 7:45 AM, June 20, 2006  

Steph and I saw Pom Poko on the movie channel, and even though the racoons used their ball-sacks as parachutes, I STILL LIKED IT. ;_;

Still, I do take the point that it's a bit bizarre.

Whispers of the Heart may or may not be badass....I'm hoping for an aww/sweet tingly feel-good movie. You know, to compensate for FFVII:AC/Blade Runner on Saturday, :D

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 8:06 AM, June 20, 2006  

Yeah, Pom Poko was weird as hell and highly sexual in tone for somehting so child-oriented. In fact, in the first 10 minutes I kept saying, "Jackie, what the f*** is this, just turn it off. This is ridiculous. Oh. My. God." but after that I shut up and I think I may have liked it.

Gordon and I love Ouran High School Host Club.

Almost every morning when I wake up my 4 AM alarm is set to Cartoon Network, so I've seen the first fifteen minutes of at least half of Paranoia Agent. At first I thought it was so weird to the point of disgust, but it's so intriguing that Gordon and I are watching it now. It's very unique, depending on how it goes I may or may not like it. I've been very impressed with the last 15 minutes of every episode as Gordon and I watch the stories wrap up in Japanese. It's like watching poor english dub mini-trailers every morning for an episode I won't see in it's entirety for another 10 episodes.

I really wanna go on Saturday but 1) I work in until 2 in the afternoon, 2) it's Gordon and my anniversary and we have lots of plans, 3) I haven't finished playing FFVII yet, 4) Watching blade runner as a captive audience in art class last semester made me want to gauge out my eyes. This is the one Harrison Ford movie that I did not love, in fact, I hated it.

We'll have to plan something else with many folks again when I'm not so otherwise engaged.

By Blogger Steph, at 9:35 PM, June 20, 2006  

oh my, someone on the internet who reads sandman.
DO NOT STOP READING IT.

isn't it the most goddamn awesomest thing ever? i've read them all except the very last, but volume nine, the kindly ones, is so ridiculously amazingly perfect, i had to frequently stop in the middle of reading just to appreciate.

also, how is invisible monsters? i've only read fight club, which was pretty damn good, and i quite want to read the rest of his stuff, but i don't know where to start. some people have said choke, others've said diary. no one i know who likes his stuff has eve n mentioned invisible monsters.

blade runner is a fantastic movie.

p.s: mutton isn't dead, but that post was meant to make it seem like he was. i guess i win, hohoho.
he's gone to new zealand to be with his lady-love.

By Blogger uriah heep, at 10:15 AM, June 26, 2006  

Yes, Sandman is the awesomest thing ever. I've read four volumes of it now, and I have them all rented from the library, waiting patiently at the foot of my bed. Neil Gaiman is ridiculous.

Invisible Monsters ended up being really good. I liked the narrator character in this one, and I definitely didn't see the plot-twists coming. I mean, it's Palahniuk, so I knew something was coming, but definitely didn't guess them before they happened. I've read Choke, which was pretty good. I also own Lullaby, and have read that. I don't believe I've read Diary, although I've heard lots of good things about that, too. They're all pretty good - it doesn't matter which you read first. So, I would say whatever your library has.

And I'm glad mutton is not dead. Although, it kind of sucks that he went all the way to New Zealand, ):

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 1:02 PM, June 26, 2006  

Post a Comment