wApr 3, 2006


Is it summer yet?

I think there's something wrong with my awake-ness. I got about 4 hours of sleep last night, but right now I feel so hyper that I could probably make myself explode by sheer force of will. After I finished my paper last night at 2:30, I crawled up into bed, but I was not tired at all. I probably laid awake for at least half an hour, staring at my glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling, or restlessly switching sizes and crawling to various corners of my bed. "Rooting around," as my father would call it. What the hell.

I emailed my paper to my cousin (cousin's daughter, actually, but same thing), who is in grad school at Iowa State and teaches freshmen comp. She said "I’m impressed with your writing. It’s strong and well supported." This makes me extremely hopeful. However, we are talking about me, so I'm sure I'll end up getting another C. At least this time, I'll expect it. Life is a lot more fun when you just expect things to suck as much as humanly possible. Nothing really surprises you, and nobody can bring you as far down as you can bring yourself. YES.

The UW-Madison student government situation is a bit ludicrous at the moment. Last week, we were supposed to have elections for various openings on ASM (Associated Students of Madison) itself, as well as for two referenda, but the voting systems weren't prepared for an actual voter turnout, so they failed.
The best part about the whole thing is that David Lapidus (a freshman from Chicago who's running for the seat on the Dane County Board) and a small band of cohorts have decided to form a new student government. I'm a little foggy on the details, but I believe the rule is that any group of students who can earn the vote of 10% of the student population becomes our legitimate government. My question is: can there be two different 10%, and what happens when there are two governments?
As best I can tell right now, it has the imaginative name of Studen Government. They even have a blog. My personal opinion? I really don't give a shit. ASM seems a lot like my high school Student Council did - a lot of people who are only doing it to put on a resume, with a small handful of people who actually do care, but are too powerless to do very much effective change. However, "Student Government"
The only reason I voted was to vote on the two referenda. I left all of the positions blank. I don't know who any of these people are. All I want to know is whether or not I'm supposed to vote again, or if my vote was counted. There was a very well-written special to today's Daily Cardinal regarding the "revolution."
Why do the leaders of ASM get paid thousands of dollars to screw up?

And now, for Random Shit of the Internet.

Geoffrey Chaucer has hath a blog. It is appropriately written in Middle English. So amusing! He sometimes partakes in "flayme werres."

These were aired during last week's episode of The Office, and are parodies of the little "The More You Know...." segments that highlight lame statistics spoken by celebrities. Instead, we get the characters of The Office. SO FUNNY. My favorite is "Invite."

My hair looks like shit today.

Current Music: Honey & Clover OST
scribbled mystickeeper at 10:44 AM
0 comments
0 Comments:

Post a Comment