wFeb 16, 2006


More assinine legislation, Academic fear, People with large egos, and Good Fight Music

It appears as though the United States Judiciary Committee is considering making a ban on "non-commercial use of a trademark." This would make it illegal for writers to name-drop brand names in their work. Authors like Stephen King come to mind almost instantly, although I did discover the information through Neil Gaiman's blog. Name brands and chains are such a prominent part of global culture today that I think it would be ludicrous to say that nobody except the chains themselves can utilize their names. Anyway, you can find more information here, including how to contact your senator. For the record, both Kohl and Feingold (the Wisconsin US Senators) are on the Judiciary Committee.

I wasted an inordinate amount of time today, especially considering that I have an English midterm on Friday. I'm a bit frightened for this midterm despite the unexpectedly good grade I received on the assignment we got back today. My TA (and the others, apparently), have doubts as to whether or not our professor is senile or not. He does know what he's talking about when it comes to literature, but can be a little absent-minded sometimes. I tend to find this endearing in professors more than I find it irritating. However, our TA told us he didn't know anything about the exam and that the professor's going to grade them because he feared the TAs didn't have it in them to be heartless enough. Somebody kill me know. I did do my laundry, though, and that was important.

Since Monday, I've found and have been browsing through a number of so-called "A-List bloggers" (one of many ways I've found to not study). I always thought that these mystical A-List Bloggers that I'd heard about in news articles on blogging and described scathingly by "rebels" were, you know, good at what they did. On the whole, though, I found them to be predictable and pretentious prats (alliteration! How much I underuse you!). Some of the writing's all right, but for the most part, it seems like an excuse for the people to sit down and tell everybody about the Gucci bag they got, the ballet flats they want that absolutely must be London Slippers because anything less than $120 is so bohemian (hey now, some of us happen to be 1/2 Bohemian!). Most of them have no qualms making lists of things that you, the reader, should purchase. For example, men should purchase $260/oz Chanel perfume for their girlfriends because anything less would be in poor taste, and every girl will definitely think it's the perfect gift. These are the people who have the ability to not only put Google ads on their sidebars, but to also have companies take out ads for their blog sidebars. And all they do is essentially brag about how much money they have to throw around and whine about how elite they are and how nobody is quite as refined/intellectual as they are.
If I ever become that self-centered and lame, somebody please slap me.

Lastly, I thought that I would share some music with you. I often get obsessed with particlar songs and will listen to them repeatedly for days upon discovering them. The following is the ending theme of the new Hellsing OVA (which I haven't actually seen yet, but the sub just came out). It's actually classical music; so don't worry, it's not Japanese pop music (which can be fun, but also scary). I have yet to find a translation of the lyrics, though. I don't even know what language they're singing in, although I'm assuming it's Latin? Think of it as a Gothic-like opera song. And then, rock out. Anyway, click here to listen. You don't need to download any sort of file; it should just start playing.

Have I ever written a blog entry without at least 3 parenthetical clauses? I highly doubt it. My brain just naturally thinks within them.

Current Music: Gradus Vita - Hayato Matsuo & the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra

scribbled mystickeeper at 1:15 AM
4 comments
4 Comments:

Oh my gosh I love London Slippers!

By Blogger Kristy, at 1:41 PM, February 16, 2006  

I admit that they are cute and that I wouldn't mind a similar pair for myself.

I just think that paying $120 for them (and nothing less) seems a bit elitist/moronic.

OMG maybe we should find me a pair on EBAY!

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 6:40 PM, February 16, 2006  

hey, i like the return of the snow to your blog! it reminds me of the thundersnow milwaukee enjoyed this morning...

By Blogger Jenny, at 6:55 PM, February 16, 2006  

:O We had thunder, too!

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 10:36 PM, February 16, 2006  

Post a Comment