wJan 26, 2006


teh hell

I actually wrote this post last night around midnight, but Blogger was being extremely difficult.

I always hate writing the first post after writing something that I think is very important and feel passionately about. But I guess that since I always feel the need to say something, this is the way that it has to be.

I’ve been rather obsessed with this gun issue for the last couple of days, bringing it up randomly in conversation with people. One person told me that he did not care because he against government regulation in general, and feels that there should be no unnecessary laws. Even from the perspective of a Libertarian, I should think that some point, you have to say, “Okay, I don’t want the government to tell me what kind of car to buy or what to call my fast food, but maybe keeping lethal weapons out of the hands of children that are too young to either physically or mentally handle them is okay with me.”

I hadn’t realized exactly how worked I was about the entire issue until one of my friends disagreed wholeheartedly with me and told me to not bother calling my state senator until I “really understood” (this, of course, with said friend not having read anything I wrote at all). I can’t remember the last time I got that upset….wow.

It is encouraging, though, to think that things actually do happen because of the things that I write here. When I’m trying to express myself, I like to do it in a way that gives the reader a way to understand where I’m coming from. Otherwise, why would I bother? I don’t know. I intend to call my state senator on Friday. I am quite certain that I will keep you all updated on what happens.

My life seems to have settled into something resembling a routine now. My Tuesdays and Thursdays are jam-packed until about 4:30. Tuesday is basically all day, with a few relief hours, because of the dorm Anime Club in the evening. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, are early (8:50), but pretty nice because they all consist of only one lecture and one discussion.

I don’t know what exactly has changed, but my mind has been insanely restless since coming back to school. Even right now, when I haven’t gotten enough sleep for the last 3 nights in a row and will probably force myself to lie down soon, I am wide away and my mind is in a million places at once. Maybe part of it is that I actually truly enjoy all four of my classes. I think I made the right choice in going with an English major….I get excited about looking up words in the Oxford English Dictionary (it discusses the evolution of English words and their various meanings in English). However, interest doesn’t necessarily mean the grades that I want, but I don’t know how that’s going to go yet. I always hate the beginning of the semester because you really don’t know how you should study for a class or how to approach readings. Oh well, though.

I accomplished so much more today than I did yesterday, and yet when it’s time for sleep, I can think of no less than 20 things that I would like to do before tomorrow. Where has this energy come from? I haven’t the slightest idea, but I hope that it stays.
scribbled mystickeeper at 8:50 AM
1 comments
1 Comments:

I spent about 3 hours on the OED after they introduced me to it in 215. I wrote 2 of my papers on the meaning of names and used the OED for like, most of my sourcework.

I'm in favor of gun control. We shouldn't be screwing around with that shit, particularly if kids are involved. It scares me that they talk about hunting as if it's addictive, that if kids aren't hunting by the age of 12, they probably won't pick it up. Like cigarettes or something.

I'm scared about the Hamas thing. Not much I can do about it, though, so I try not to think too hard on the subject.

You are awesome.

By Blogger Gretchen, at 12:56 AM, January 27, 2006  

Post a Comment