wJan 17, 2006


I blog about politics once more; Classes begin.

In case you missed it, yesterday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and apparently also a great day for politically elected people to make asses out of themselves. Hillary Clinton decided that a day dedicated to honoring a man's work for Civil Rights was a good time to use racially charged diction to make a cheap shot at the Republican Party. I take her point, that they're not good about allowing dissent, but you know, neither is her own party. Both parties are ridiculously polarized right now. Inexcusable.
But not so much as the comments made by the mayor of New Orleans. The media made a huge deal about his wanting to rebuild a "chocolate New Orleans." He apologized today and everything was a-okay again. I guess that nobody really cared about the other part of the speech, where he said that God sent the hurricane to New Orleans because he was upset about the War in Iraq, among other things. Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country....Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves. I guess it's better than Pat Robertson's claim that the hurricane was sent to punish the gays, but....Um, hello?! Maybe energizing your residents to rebuild by telling them that the God most of them believe in was actually punishing their sorry asses for a wealth of things that are mostly out of their control might not be the best way to go about doing things. Not to mention that I'm fairly certain that God doesn't do that. Well, I guess there was that whole Noah's Ark thing. But then the New Testament happened and God said, "Look, after sending my Son down, I'm done punishing you guys to whip you into shape. I sent my Son and he showed and told you exactly what to do and if you can't figure it out for yourself from there, then there's really not much else I can do." We don't need God to send hurricanes to punish us any more anyway. With global warming and nuclear winter and whatever the hell else, we're going to do it ourselves.

Classes started today.

I am enamored with my Criminal Law & Justice lecture. I was entertained for the entire 75-minute lecture and I'm definitely glad I've picked Poli Sci as a major/Law as a possible future? Certain aspects are frightening, though, such as the revelation that "Well, this is always a senior-dominated course; last time, I think there were 250 students and about 205 seniors." I guess it makes sense because the class filled up within an hour of when I was able to sign up, but....still! Another frightening thing was this from the syllabus: Grading will be based on a strict curve, which means that sizable numbers of students can expect to receive grades below a 'B.' That is not cool. But this is: I once allowed papers for extra credit, but abandoned that practice in 1991 after a man I encountered one night on Willy Street informed me that he had written about twenty papers for my students. I never caught those responsible, but I harbor little doubt that they will not fare well in the event there is an afterlife. Hee. So...I expect this course to be really difficult, but still enjoyable. This is the first time I've been in a huge lecture hall, and had people raised their hands only to contribute relevant, intellectually stimulating thoughts. Glorious!

I was less impressed with my Asian American Women Writers class and The American Presidency, but it's only the first day and I think having three 75-minute lectures in a row doesn't help much. In the former, I'm pleased with the students, particularly my little band in the back corner; in the latter, I get to sit by Chad where we will undoubtedly plan his own future presidency and scout the room for guys (provided I can force Chad to do this!).

Current Music: Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying - Fall Out Boy (my new favorite song)

I know this hurts
it was meant to
your secret's out
and the best part is it isn't even a good one
and it's mind over (you don't, don't, don't) matter
scribbled mystickeeper at 11:51 PM
2 comments
2 Comments:

That post was beautiful but as I read anything you write (especially the bitchy posts), I can't help but hear "jackie noises" permeating throughout the post. I know there isn't any onomonopea (spelling i know), but it's still funny.

Communicating via blog as instructed by your command.

Have a good one.

By Blogger Unknown, at 12:47 PM, January 18, 2006  

I'm glad my writing is such a rich and rewarding experience for you, Ryan. You'd better keep up with Battlestar Galactica, because that way we can totally freak out at least once per week!

I hope your intense boot camp running stuff is going well. You should tell us about it in your blog, ;)

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 1:12 PM, January 18, 2006  

Post a Comment