wApr 13, 2005


And With That, Another Voice Goes Silent

Today is the National Day of Silence. The National Day of Silence is a movement designed to recognize and protest the discrimination and harassment -- in effect, the silencing -- experienced by LGBT students and their allies. (-previously linked Day of Silence website) I've heard about this movement in the past, but I know more about it this year because my friend, Gretchen, is participating. I think it's a good idea. It is effective in drawing attention to the discrimination experienced by the gay community.

Now, I will direct your attention to the Day of Truth. Irked by the success of the nationwide Day of Silence, which seeks to combat anti-gay bias in schools, conservative activists are launching a counter-event this week called the Day of Truth aimed at mobilizing students who believe homosexuality is sinful. (- previously linked CNN article)

Johnson said the event is meant to be "peaceful and respectful," but made clear it is motivated by belief that homosexuality is wrong. "You can call it sinful or destructive -- ultimately it's both," he said. (- previously linked CNN article)
Could somebody explain to me how it is possible to be respectful while mobilizing a massive effort to tell an entire group of people that they are sinful and destructive to society?

So another group wants to protest on a separate day. Fine. I am all about free speech. However, it has always bothered me to no end that people would use the name of Christianity, Jesus, and the Bible to promote intolerance. In truth, it sickens me.

Maybe you're Christian. I'm Christian. I believe in the Trinity. I try my best to follow Jesus. I read the Bible. And to the best of my knowledge, the Bible promotes tolerance. I know that the Bible says that homosexual acts are a sin. If you are in agreement with the Bible in this, then fine. But nowhere in the Bible does it say that it is wrong to be homosexual. Everybody sins. Who are you, to judge others? Luke 6:37, 42 Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. ... How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me remove that splinter in your eye,' when you do not even notice the wooden beam in your own eye? You hypocrite! Remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter in your brother's eye. We are all sinners. It is ridiculous for people to go around, pointing at others, and informing them of their sins.

Even if you do think that homosexuality is sinful, it is not your place to promote discrimination against people who are different from you. Who are you, to claim to know where the depths of God's mercy will and will not go? Acts 10:28 ...but God has shown me that I should not call any person profane or unclean.

Let us not forget Matthew 7:12: Do to others whatever you would have them do to you.

"The Day of Silence was an event conceived of by students themselves in response to a very real problem of bullying and harassment they saw on their campuses," Jennings said. "The Day of Truth is a publicity stunt cooked up by a conservative organization with a political agenda; it's an effort by adults to manipulate some kids." (- previously linked CNN article)

According to GLSEN, 84 percent of gay and lesbian high school students experiences verbal harassment on a regular basis at school, and 40 percent experience physical harassment. (- previously linked CNN article)

If you are going to reflect on anything in this post, let it be that last fact.

At the publishing of this post, it is currently 2:39 pm. The day is half over. But I will most certainly participate in this worthy cause, starting now. For me, this day is not about championing gay marriage or other civil rights legislation. For me, it is not as specific, nor as complex as all of that. For me, this day is to acknowledge the prejudice experienced by a group of people who struggle to find tolerance. Sadly, they struggle to find it from Christianity - my religion - which has always been and always will be a religion of tolerance. Where is your faith?
scribbled mystickeeper at 2:42 PM
9 comments
9 Comments:

Very nicely put Jackie.

By Blogger Louise, at 9:07 PM, April 13, 2005  

Yay Jackie, well put, but please try to remember that not all conservatives are intolerant. I know that you didn't specifically associate the two, but it can sometimes be implicit in your writing. I, for one, consider myself a compassionate conservative who accepts many people's lifestyles. Just remember that you don't like to be put in a box and nor do I. Love you!

By Blogger Kristy, at 9:38 PM, April 13, 2005  

I'm showing my ignorance here, but what exactly IS a compassionate conservative? I associate that phrase with our dear President and that makes me loathe it, because I think his policies are terrible. Hopefully someone can reclaim for me a definiteion of that term that I could actually respect?

By Blogger Gretchen, at 9:47 PM, April 13, 2005  

I hope the rally wasn't too anti-climactic. As I have previously noted, the Day of Silence is largely a high school phenomenon, hence all the high school speakers. I'm unhappy with the way it was promoted at the college level here, but meh. The high schoolers need it more than we do, because high school is a lot harder than college in terms of harassment and bullying for glbt kids. We're just backing them up.

By Blogger Gretchen, at 9:51 PM, April 13, 2005  

KRISTY: How about an end to the labels for once in our lives. I don't think "Compassionate Conservative" as a positive thing necessarily. However, I KNOW Kristy is a cool and compassionate person.

"I, for one, consider myself a compassionate conservative who **accepts many people's lifestyles**"

I think that's Kristy talking.

"Just remember that you don't like to be put in a box"

But what are you doing when you are calling yourself a compassionate conservative?

By Blogger Unknown, at 10:05 PM, April 13, 2005  

My Ryan,
I believe that boxes aren't necessarily bad, except when they are put around people who have a very broad range of beliefs. Conservatives and liberals alike vary tremendously in their convictions. I particularily don't like being in a box with people who share some of my beliefs, but also some that I don't believe in.

My own definition of a compassionate conservative is one who shares many of the same beliefs as conservatives, but also is not as intolerant of others as some conservatives are. The President has used this term and applied it to himself, and I think in some cases, he has not been true to the title. Although Mr. President uses this term, he does not always reflect it in his actions and he should not be the sole person associated with compassionate conservatives.

Ryan, I do not mind being in a box with other compassionate conservatives because we stand for the same beliefs. Compassion is something that I believe in strongly. If I must join a box, I will join the one I feel best represents my values and who I am as an individual.

By Blogger Kristy, at 10:19 PM, April 13, 2005  

Oh yes, it's your choice.

Thanks for enlightening me.
Kristy, The Compassionate Conservative.

By Blogger Unknown, at 10:29 PM, April 13, 2005  

Scary things boxes...

It's true not all conservatives are opposed to this sort of thing. My parents both identify themselves as Republicans but they believe strongly in environmental protection and are accepting of gay rights, and as such sometimes have a hard time with the current administration.

There is no real cohesive group in politics, problems just arise when people align themselves with a label and abide by that without further consideration of the issues themselves. Changing to fit a box or a label can be a problem with some people.

It's part of the reason I think people should vote on issues as opposed to party lines.

By Blogger Louise, at 11:01 PM, April 13, 2005  

Thank you, Louise.

Kristy, your attempts to defend yourself are as amusing as ever (I mean that in a good way!)...."I don't like to be put in boxes....except when I do!" When Chad becomes president, you will never, ever speak unless someone scripts it for you. Heehee. ;)

Thank you, Gretchen, for an awesome opportunity.

Ryan, you had a very good point.

As did Louise.

My own opinion is that boxes of any type are a crock of shit. And if I ever find myself inside of one, you can bet your ass that I'll bust out.

And Steph (yes, Steph), you had some good points too. Even though I'm the only one who heard them. Bwahahahahaha!

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 3:08 PM, April 14, 2005  

Post a Comment