wMar 21, 2009


Dollhouse, 1.6

Since the first episode aired, various newspaper articles have run quotes from the cast and crew of Dollhouse, assuring its audience that in episode six, the show really kicks it into high gear. Eliza Dushku's specific quote was:
"We’ve now done 13 episodes, and people have said that the show took off once they finally realized that Joss is best off left alone to do his thing. That happens around episode six—six through 13 are just extraordinary. I love one, two, three, four, and five, but Joss’ first script that he did after the pilot is number six, which is called “Man On The Street,” and it is just unbelievable. From that point on, the world unfolds in Joss’ way, with Joss’ speed, and it’s really remarkable." Joss Whedon said that "Man on the Street" (and "Needs") "represent a much stronger vision of what I consider the show to be."


I respect people's decision to stop watching after the first episode, but I have a lot of respect for Joss Whedon, and I really didn't think he was stupid enough to have such a premise without being self-aware. I held on to hope and figured I'd watch at least through episode six and see if the turn was actually brought about, as was promised.

And I think I got exactly what I wanted in episode six. The entire episode is highly self-aware - of the skeevy premise, of the rape that is constantly occurring (and it is referred to as "rape" multiple times), of power dynamics, of everything else.

For the first time, the series was legitimately funny. Multiple times, throughout the episode. The pacing was excellent. I was genuinely surprised, again multiple times. And really, every time I thought a female character was getting shafted of stripped of power, that turned out to very much not be the case.

If you were turned off from this series from the first episode, please do try episode six. I really feel like it's the first one for which Whedon was let out of the box by FOX, and I think 1-5 were a lot of pandering to the producers.

IF NOTHING ELSE, THE FIGHT BETWEEN TAHMOH PENIKETT AND ELIZA DUSHKU MAKES EVERYTHING WORTHWHILE.


So....OMF! Was Echo imprinted with that message by Topher to begin with? Did her handler distract Topher so that an ally could eff with the imprint while he was talking to Topher? Did someone unconnected to either of them do it? WHO DID IT? WHY ARE HELO AND FAITH SO HOT WHEN THEY FIGHT AGAINST EACH OTHER?!

I think that it is SO MADE OF FAIL that a freaking FBI AGENT HELLO would spill his guts to his seemingly overly nice neighbor. Like....HELLO, WAKE UP. I hate that about secret organization shows/storylines....people always trust other people instead of NOT TRUSTING ANYONE, which I really feel would be the best option.


I'm eager to hear what other people thought of this episode, if there was fail that I didn't see. A lot of people get pissed when their shows are analyzed, but I love that shit! For me, this episode brought the game and I loved it. I really think that the framing tool of interviewing citizens of Los Angeles about their thoughts on the rumors they've heard about the Dollhouse was a fantastic way of using fan-made critiques and acknowledging them and turning them on their heads, which I think is what happened in this episode.

Again! If you didn't like the pilot, I highly suggest watching episode 6. If you think I'm wrong, please post about why you think so! I'll be reading!

Labels:

scribbled mystickeeper at 6:09 PM
1 comments
1 Comments:

Appreciate your bblog post

By Anonymous Pomona Radon Mitigation, at 8:22 PM, December 21, 2022  

Post a Comment