wApr 9, 2008


Now I just need to figure out what to do with my hair.

Throughout my life, I have struggled with the concept of fashion. In middle school and high school, much to the dismay of my mother and sister, I wore whatever I found to be comfortable, be it a flannel shirt or a peasant-cut top. I knew that I wasn't often fashionable, but I didn't really care. As I grew older, I came to accept the fact that my body is different from those of most girls. It's hard to find tops that look flattering on me, because a lot of things have under-the-bust lines that end up being across-the-middle-of-my-bust that make me look absurd.

I have compensated - I have found bargain items that still flatter curves and match with my pants and skirts.

I have come to accept my level in fashion - there is a below-the-line level to which I will never sink (electric blue eyeliner with bizarrely-cut suits in horrific colors that shock the conscience) and a silver lining to which I can never hope to reach (a fashionable haircut with simple but fashionable jewelry that changes every day to complement the highly-fashionable but seemingly effortlessly-put-together outfit I'm wearing).

I am somewhere in the middle, but on days like today, my level is just really annoying. I have this nice just-below-the-knee skirt that's so brown it's almost black (but still brown!) that is cut in a flattering way, but I'm really struggling to find anything to wear with it. Could I wear a yellow polo with a black sweater over it? When people say that wearing black with brown is now acceptable, is it only certain shades of brown? How come I don't have more pairs of nylons? I have enough tights now, but my nylons are terrible....the ones I have on have two large runs and no coverage over any of the toes on my left foot except for the big one....I'm waiting for them to just drift away from legs in tatters throughout the day.

I know that I wore this skirt on Easter, but I can't remember what the hell I wore with it. Did I wear this black sweater with the yellow polo? Did it look as ridiculous as I think it does now? Were the women in my family silently judging/pitying me all day?

Okay, okay. I've traded the yellow polo/black sweater for a short-sleeved blouse that's mostly shades of pink, with hints of dark green and brown, with a really interesting texture. I originally wore this shirt for a thing called Snow Ball.....my sophomore year of high school.

Labels:

scribbled mystickeeper at 10:03 AM
3 comments
3 Comments:

The pink blouse sounds cute to me! Who cares when you bought it, so long as it still fits and it's not falling apart. I'm also a fan of your peasant shirts. They'd look utterly stupid on me, so I'm slightly jealous of people who can wear them. Full disclosure: I definitely reside in your camp of "if it's comfy, it's awesome".

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:06 PM, April 09, 2008  

Jackie, check out this badass lady.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0410/p12s01-woeu.html

I'm officially a huge fan.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:23 PM, April 09, 2008  

You
are a huge
nerd.

*pokes you in the head* it's just clothes xP :)

By Blogger Tas, at 5:31 PM, April 10, 2008  

Post a Comment