wNov 14, 2007


Well, that's the last time I'll do that.

I don't think very many exciting things happened today, aside from the fact that I registered for classes at work.

I don't understand why this university thinks it's cool to schedule every class that's not lower than the 300-level on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I suspect it's because the professors are frickin' lazy, and only want to teach two days a week. Bastards. BECAUSE MY TUESDAYS AND THURSDAYS WILL SUUUUUCK. Tuesday will be three power lectures, followed by a 2.5-hour seminar that begins at 3:45 - the same time my last power lecture ends. I think it's stupid to start a class at 3:45pm, as it's an established ending time for 99% of classes that begin at 2:30pm, so my prof had better like it.

Anyway, here's what I think I'm taking.

Taking for sure to fulfill requirements:
The American Short Story: This course surveys the growth and development of short fiction as a genre from the early 19th century to the present day. Our interests will be formal (What counts as a short story? What are the distinctive narrative tactics we associate with shorter narratives? How do short stories persuade, inform, delight, appall, etc.?) historical (Under what conditions were certain short fictions produced? What events or circumstances do they represent? How do short stories imagine historical events?), and philosophical (What sorts of truths do short narratives convey? Do short fictions provide models for cognition?). We'll draw from the literary tradition of the United States primarily, but will also look briefly at the broader American and European cultural context in which the short story develops. Authors might include Poe (!), Hawthorne (!), Maupassant, Melville (!), Twain (!), James, Jewett (!), Fitzgerald (!), Hemmingway (!), Faulkner (!), O'Connor, Borges (!), and others.

Literature and Disability: In this class we will study the representation of physical and mental disabilities in fiction, poetry, drama, and film. We will consider how disability has functioned metaphorically, strategically, and politically in a diverse range of texts, including Shakespeare's Richard III, Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury, Hulme's The Bone People, Brooks' A Street in Bronzeville, and American Sign Language poetry/performances. We will examine the intersection and intertwinement of disability with race, ethnicity, sexuality, and gender, and will use feminist and post-colonial theories of disability to contextualize the works we study.

Global Cultures Capstone Seminar:
For to get my Global Cultures certificate, yo. I don't really know what we do. I'm assuming some kind of bigass research paper? Whatever.

I need 3 more credits to be a full-time student, so I must pick one of these:
British History Since 1688
Political Science: Conflict Resolution (Will focus on stuff that drags on forever, and why. Specific case studies include WWI, the Cold War, dissolution of Yugloslavia, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict)

WTF AM I THINKING:
Ballroom dancing. Because Nina is doing it! Except that the class filled up between when I signed up and like, 3 hours ago and she'll probably be on a wait-list. Also because Antoine said he has taken it before, although he assures me he has forgotten everything.
"When would I ever need ballroom dancing?!"
"For all the times when you want to ballroom dance with me!"
*instant reaction is indignant rage.....but slowly become melty inside*


Really, all that signing up for next semester's classes has done for me has made me scared the Impending Doom of Graduation. I need to get my shit together.

Current Music: Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Labels:

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:04 PM
4 comments
4 Comments:

!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell me you're in 9:55 T/Th ballroom, because I am!!!!

By Blogger Steph, at 1:13 AM, November 15, 2007  

OMGWTF, I AM! THAT JUST MADE MY DAY! STEFFLES AND ME IN A CLASS IN WHICH I WILL LOOK LIKE A COMPLETE ASS AND WE WILL BE MERRY!

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 7:34 AM, November 15, 2007  

WAIT, I lied. I have it MW, 9:55

*IS SO SAD NOW*

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 7:38 AM, November 15, 2007  

P P
^

By Blogger Steph, at 5:38 PM, November 15, 2007  

Post a Comment