wOct 18, 2007


Rage! (Whine)

Ugh, the last couple of days have sucked a lot. I have a midterm at 11:00 today, and I'll be glad when it's over. It'll probably be scary, though. I was all settled in to study last night, and then, of course, I fell asleep until 2:30am. I then studied until 3:30 and went to sleep. And now I feel exhausted. It just sucks. I'm probably about as prepared for the midterm as I would be anyway, but I had really wanted to work on a paper that I have due Monday, as today I'll get a take-home exam emailed to me, and will then have two things to worried about.

I just hope that I can get a lot done tomorrow at work.

I received the grades for the presentation and paper I've done already in my Women in Medieval Literature class, and they were both really good. Now, though, I'm afraid to get my Women's Studies midterm back. The last thing I need is a confidence-destroyer right before my other English midterm!

Bahhhh. At least half my classes were canceled today, for reasons unbeknownst to me. So while Thursday's usually suck, today I'll hopefully actually be able to get a draft of a paper written, and outline the take-home thingie.

The more time that goes by, the more anxious I get about figuring out plans for after graduation, but of course I don't have time to deal with that right now. I really hate that when you're 17-22, the questions people always, always ask you are always the same: "Where are you going to college?" Then, once that's figured out, "What's your major? Ohhhhh....so what are you going to do with that?" Then, once that's figured out, "So what are you going to do after you graduate?" And always, at all of these points, there's the question, "So are you dating anyone?" Because if you're not, there's clearly something wrong with you! Society is stupid. Lately, I dislike conversing with anyone and kind of wish that all I ever had to do was read books all day. So much more enjoyable.

Yeah, guess who needs more sleep?

Labels: , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 8:30 AM
3 comments
3 Comments:

I know exactly what you mean, about the societal pressures to conform that exist in the subtext when people ask you all those meaningless small talk questions. Though you know that pressuring you is not what the asker intended. It's just what people do, and in many ways are expected to do. And yeah, it kind of sucks sometimes, but you know that the people aren't really implying that you're a bad person. They're just making meaningless small talk.

So how'd your midterm go? こわいでか。 (kowai desu ka?)

By Blogger Gordon, at 12:47 PM, October 18, 2007  

I dunno, when I didn't have a boyfriend for almost all of high school and the first two years of college, whenever my mom or relatives or friends or friends' parents would ask, "So do you have a boyfriend yet?" there was a definite tone of "Something's wrong with you." I think that there is a lot of judgment in the small-talk. Especially when people ask me what I will "do with my majors."

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 1:01 PM, October 18, 2007  

I was sitting with the LGBT liaisons at the beginning of the year when the guy said to the girl,
"That's an interesting major. What are you going to do after you graduate?"
to which she responded,
"Drugs."

You should say that. I think that's the best answer I've heard. I'm pretty sure she was kidding, but that's irrelevant.

By Blogger Steph, at 2:22 PM, October 18, 2007  

Post a Comment