wAug 23, 2007


Summer Reflection

It's so weird to think that yesterday was my last summer day in the page room. There wasn't much of a sense of finality to it, because I'll be continuing with the job throughout the semester. Still, it will be weird because I'll only be working there Monday and Wednesday afternoons, and all day Friday. Nothing ever happens Friday, so I'm hoping to get lots of homework done before the weekend starts. Also, now that we'll be in school, we'll have so much more to talk about. I'm so glad that I found this job, though. Not only do I get to become intimately acquainted with state government - to the point that I know what's going on more than I do at the national level (that *never* happened before), but I also get to work in a gorgeous building with marble and granite and paintings. Not to mention the amazing friends I've made there.

Today is also going to be my last day being an intern at Bleak House. Sadly, I'm not going to be able to continue doing it during the semester - my time will be eaten up by class and my job as a page. This was really the first time that I did anything strictly related to my English major (a lot of the stuff I did as a media intern for Mark Green was English-related, obviously, but....yeah. Political stuff played a larger role). Reading submissions was definitely an eye-opening experience. Once again, the people I was with were amazing.

Last summer, and the summer before, I had to drag myself out of bed. I liked certain aspects of my job at ShopKo, and my internships with Mark Green, but I had to give myself a lot of pep talks to make it through those summers. I was so blessed this summer - I was excited and happy to go to both jobs every day. So while I was exhausted a lot, I was overall happy. I'm lucky. I did miss a lot of my friends from home - Dave, Jennifer, Kristy, Chad, and Ryan. And yet, all of them were gone this summer anyway except for Kristy and Chad, and I do get to see/hear a lot from both of them during the school year, as I live with Chad, and we sometimes meet up with Kristy in Chicago, she comes to visit, etc. What the hell, we are growing up. What the hell, this might be my last year in school EVER (unless I go to law school or something, but it's the last year for a while, methinks).

Anyway, I'm in the middle of so many manga series right now...Nausicaa, X/1999, Bleach, Naruto, Tramps Like Us. Also, the manga I own and am collecting as new volumes are released. I very much miss reading comics once school starts....at least I can always read on the bus, :) I'm really loving Nausicaa.

Today is my last day at Bleak House, and then Gretchen and I are getting together to watch the last DVD of the third season of Buffy! Then, tomorrow is a family reunion for my dad's side of the family, which promises to be hilarious. Then, I have an entire week off from work to take care of loose ends, and get ready before the semester begins.

Life is good. (Someone remind me this three weeks in the future, when I'm whining about how much homework I have.)


Current Music: Sakura Kiss (strings) - Ouran High School Host Club OST

Labels: , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 11:08 PM
2 comments
2 Comments:

I just woke up from this dream where you and I were taking a class together, a lit class, but the discussion sections met at your house, which in the dream was kind of a dive, which your current house decidedly isn't. Anyhow, there were like 40 people in the discussion group, most of them folks from my high school with not-very-high intelligences, and several from college who're smart, like you and Louise. Anyhow, we spent most of the dream discussing The Elvenbane, and it made me want to tear my eyeballs out because people kept saying stupid crap. Ahhh back-to-school dreams.

Also, I've decided you should watch Buffy first, then Angel, and alternate. I broke down and bought seasons 2 and 3 of Angel because I was afraid the sale would go off...

Hope you had fun with the family!

Gretchen

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 AM, August 26, 2007  

lol, back to school dreams. Good to know about how I should watch Buffy/Angel! Bwaha, we must now arrange an exchange, in which I loan you Buffy season 3, and I can watch season 4!

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 1:53 PM, August 30, 2007  

Post a Comment