wJan 31, 2007


I guess this one's pretty random....

I think it's really funny to look at Barack Obama's "Facebook profile." There are hundreds of comments on his wall, and on his "Notes" from people telling him what kinds of policies he should have, etc. It's like people are under the assumption that Barack Obama himself is the one who reads and updates the profile.

International Politics contained to one room!
Oh, man! I received information about this opportunity in my email inbox, and I got really excited. Basically, it's a 1-day program of interactive diplomatic roleplaying, in which students form groups and assume the roles and interests of other nations. I did a similar thing (Model UN, Model EU) in high school once a year, and it was awesome! I am so going to make Chad apply, too. It'll be great - just like in the summer before college when we attended this conference in Washington, D.C. Chad gave birth to a secret plot to nationalize education (he and I got placed in separate political parties), and I spread it among my party members, who bought into it after some convincing. My small group leader discovered "our idea" and decried our Communist ways. Oh, I really want to do this! Unfortunately, the site makes it sound like participants are chosen in a lottery. Knowing my luck, one of the following will happen: 1) I'll convince Chad to apply, but only he will get chosen and it will be an awesome conference, or, 2) I'll convince Chad to apply, but only I will get chosen, and the conference will be teh lame.

Speaking of Teh Future
The Volunteer/Career Fair for Government and Nonprofit jobs was today. As I'm still a junior, I mostly just walked around and picked up brochures about things that sounded interesting (jobs at campus libraries for the summer, Good Shepherd Volunteers, and this really cool thing called the Madison Area Food Pantry Gardens. Apparently, there are 5 1-acre plots of gardens that people work on to provide food for local food pantries and low-income housing units. The website says that "Each volunteer hour resulted in 50 lbs of fresh produce for our less fortunate brethren." What a rewarding experience! I think that this would be a great thing for me to get involved in during the summer (obviously, you can only volunteer there May-Octoberish).

I guess that's about it. I'm going to Antoine's now for some Battlestar Galactica (yes, he has been converted! We are in the midst of season 1).

Current Music: Prelude to War from "Pegasus" and "Resurrection Ship" - Battlestar Galactica OST, composer Bear McCreary

Labels: , ,

scribbled mystickeeper at 7:52 PM
2 comments
2 Comments:

I would totally do the gardening thing if I were here over the summer. Perhaps if you do it, you can take me with you when you visit.

By Blogger Steph, at 9:58 PM, January 31, 2007  

That gardening thing does sound cool...it reminds me of the posters on the Milwaukee buses about a driver who gardens to donate food. What a great program.

And yes, please, link to my Madrid blog from yours! Yay!

By Blogger Jenny, at 11:29 PM, January 31, 2007  

Post a Comment