wSep 7, 2006


Sleeeeeeeeeeep, please!

Hey, for those who weren't aware: my friend Gretchen is studying abroad in Ireland this semester, and is keeping a pretty kickass blog, which she updates frequently. You should check it out. I intend to add it to my sidebar when I'm not so stressed out about ZOMG SCHOOL.

Classes
Hopefully once I get back into the groove, I won't blog about classes so much. But it'll probably be easier to understand what's going on in my life if I explain them a bit. Maybe tomorrow I'll actually write about my other two classes that have yet to be described!

So, regarding that Political Science class: I'm going to stick it out and see what happens. I'm up for the challenge. Even if I get a bad grade (of course, I'll fight like hell so I won't, but just in case!), the professor seems awesome in terms of personality and knowledge of the field and I know I'll definitely learn a lot. If nothing else, it'll be a fun ride.

Today I just had my Shakespeare class, which I think I'm going to love. I was kind of sad to confirm that since we're only reading things written up to 1600, we won't be reading any tragedies. Despite having read many of Shakespeare's plays, the only one I've read that's on the syllabus is Romeo and Juliet. So, if I was an English geek reading my blog, this is where I would say, "So, Jackie! What are you reading?!" So I'll tell you. Even though you're not me:
Richard III, Comedy of Errors, Taming of the Shrew (OMG I can finally compare it to 10 Things I Hate About You!!), Two Gentlemen of Verona, Richard II, Midsumer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet, 3 days' worth of sonnets, Merchant of Venice, 1 Henry IV, The Merry Wives of Windsor, Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, As You Like It, and Twelfth Night.
Yes, that amounts to about one play per week. I hope I like this class a lot, because I'd really like to take the second half, in which I read a crapload of tragedies with the same professor, next semester. He is a sweet old man, and obviously very much in love with Shakespeare. I can't wait to hear him lecture on the plays.
The only down-side to this class is the book: The Riverside Shakespeare. It contains the complete works of Shakespeare with good, extensive notes, meaning it's huge. We are expected to bring the book to class every day (three times per week). The professor gleefully suggested taking the cover off and cracking the spine, and using a razor blade to cut out the plays we'll be reading. He brandished his copy of a Shakespearean comedy to the class. This horrifies me to no end.....So I don't know what to do. I'd like to have the book to keep notes in the margin (I expect I'll want to keep this one), but it is hella heavy. Hmmm, hmmm. If I were to make copies of every play we're reading, it'll end up costing quite a bit.

Shirking Duty
Anyone want to come chalking for Anime Club tomorrow night??? No one ever seems to want to do it....and I'm definitely not going by myself. But judging from the responses we got at the Org Fair, and how many people already come (at least 100 combined), I'm pretty sure we'll be okay even if we don't. Everyone pray to God that the bureaucratic people at the University give us a room that's actually big enough for us to use!

Current Music: my freaking window fan
scribbled mystickeeper at 12:31 AM
1 comments
1 Comments:

hey, thanks for linking me!!

I'm kind of lazy about the updates- in a couple of weeks I'll have free wireless and can upload more pictures, and why read a blog when you can LOOK AT PICTURES instead??

I hope Shakespeare is all you hope for and more- let me know. I personally hated Taming of the Shrew, but whatever.

-Gretchen

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:29 AM, September 09, 2006  

Post a Comment