wAug 23, 2006


Input Request

But before the input request, allow me to recap my day: mom and I went shopping and I acquired clothing. It was pretty awesome, actually. We then had to show the clothing to my Aunt Bonnie. And then stop at my sister's house. I then got rid of some old clothing, and Ryan and I watched some Monster (we're through episode 60 now - must get through 74 by Friday!!).
Okay, there we go.

So, Facebook has this new feature called "Notes." Basically, you write an entry of text. In this text, you can "tag" people, much like you can tag people when you upload pictures. When you publish it, it shows up on your Facebook profile page where everyone (who is able to view your profile, obviously) can see it. It shows up much like a blog entry does here - with a title and a timestamp. However, Facebook truncates it after about 2 sentences and you have to click a link to see the rest of the entry. There is an option to leave comments.
There is also an option to "import a blog" from a URL.
So, if I imported my blog, all of my entries would automatically show up on my Facebook wall.

I'm not sure if this is good or not. Part of me wants to sit back and see how everybody else goes about using the 'Notes' feature. My guess is not many people will use it. It seems like a lazy way to go about blogging - this page will always be my main blog (unless I ever buy my own domain). Also, there's no way for me to keep track of who's reading my blog if everybody read it through Facebook. As it is now, I have a pretty good idea of who reads it based on a data tracker I have.

At the same time, I could probably get a lot of new readers I otherwise wouldn't get. I think that nearly everybody who has a Facebook profile is guilty of aimlessly surfing the site, looking at people's profiles.

The question is, do I want the new readers I would gain through Facebook?
Actually, the real question is, what do you guys think? You're the one who reads this baby (God knows why). I mean, I'll read it no matter what - it's my home page (and yes, I do read my own blog. Why keep one if you're not going to be self-critical? Besides, it's fun to wake up some morning and think, "Wow, I wonder what I wrote in my blog last night" because if I wrote late enough, I won't remember what I said. At least I stopped my high school habit of venting about petty personal issues and actually using the person's name.

Anyway. Comment and let me know: Is syndicating The View From Now through my Facebook profile a good plan, or no?

Current Music: genshouku jibaku LOVE SONG - Hellsing OST

Lastly: An added bonus! For entertainment, you should watch this Google video. It's my favorite Chopin piece of all time, with a man playing the left-hand part on piano while another man plays the melody on harmonica. It sounds like it would be awful, but he's actually quite brilliant, and it sounds beautiful. DO IT.
scribbled mystickeeper at 12:21 AM
2 comments
2 Comments:

I don't think you should. While you know that some of your employers have read your blog and some people you're only kind of friends with have also, you still don't want it to be that easy for just anyone to access. Yeah, you tend to be very open about it and a lot of people know where to find your work, but if you put it on facebook that's one more level of accessibility. Are you sure you want everyone who attends Wisconsin to be able to read it? Professors, TAs, classmates, faculty, facebook stalkers? That's a lot of constant policing. You have no privacy once you get as far as facebook.

By Blogger Steph, at 3:21 PM, August 23, 2006  

Devil's advocate, wheeeee! At the same time, if you make your profile so only friends can see it, then only friends can read it, and I imagine that's not too many more people than read it now. That *would* require you to make your profile restricted though, which I don't know if you'd want to do. There should be a "just friends can see" option for notes, why didn't they do that? Mergh. Anyway, it's your call. I don't really think it's necessary, personally. Creighton doesn't like it either.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:35 AM, August 24, 2006  

Post a Comment