wJul 1, 2006


A nice long post to sustain you while I am away

This is quite random, but I made an account at DeviantArt.com simply so that I could keep track of my favorite pieces made by people that I fangirl. You can see them here. Notice the most recent one - it's of the four girls from Little Women - so cute! I wish I could make art. That would pwn.

Having just finished Revolutionary Girl Utena, I hadn't expected to get wrapped up in another anime series so quickly, but I had randomly checked out the first Paranoia Agent DVD from the library and am now completely sucked in. Luckily, it's only 13 episodes. I'm halfway through it right now (I ran to the library and checked out the rest of the series - I was surprised they actually had it!). I'll be leaving my laptop here when I go Up North this weekend, so the rest will have to wait.

Tonight was kind of weird. I spent it all by myself, mostly going to random places to complete errands. I did stop at Barnes and Noble and was delighted to find that they finally released Lian Hearn's Brilliance of the Moon in the two-part pocket-sized style I'd purchased the previous 4 parts in. Now I am excited. Fantasy novels based heavily in Japanese culture are pretty awesome. Wikipedia is love for things like this - investigate! And holy crap, I had no idea there were going to be more books until I went there! But, yes. I had sworn to myself that I would not buy any books (except manga for the series I'm already reading) this summer, and I have lasted until now (what is that, 6 or 7 weeks?) without doing so. This is quite an accomplishment for me, considering, my record in buying books. And I think this almost counts as an exception, seeing as I already owned 4 from the series, the books are small and cute, it only cost $6.50, and I REALLY want to find out what happens.

I started reading Pride and Prejudice last night. I'm kind of glad that I waited so long to read it, because I don't think I would have found it nearly as amusing as a teenager (wtf, we are not teenagers any more!). As an adolescent, I enjoyed books where people killed things, flew spaceships, and fought wars. Having lived in the world a bit, I find lines such as "He is so excessively handsome!" extremely amusing. I want to see a cute guy just so that I can say that. I find myself laughing out loud quite a bit, and I've only read the first two chapters. My hero thus far is Mr. Bennett.

This weekend is going to be interesting. We'll be going Up North, and in the trailer with us will be my parents, myself, Julie and Kevin and the three kids, my aunt and uncle, and my cousin and his wife and their three kids. Plus, two of my cousins own the cabin two plots over from us, and I'm sure they will have a full house as well. Plus, I have relatives down the other way on the lake. My sister and a few family members and the people whose cabin is next door to ours are all in the midst of significant anniversaries (my sister has been married for 10 years, WTF!!), so there is going to be a party on Saturday night. Also, half the lake is apparently invited, including the people who live across the dirt road from us who threatened to shoot our dogs on various occasions. So, Saturday night will be interesting, to say the least. I expect my parents will leave the party soon after I get there (I work until 4:15 and have to come home to pack, so I probably won't get there until 7:00 or so), so I fully expect to have to fend for myself to respond to questions like: "Oh, that's your major? What are you going to DO with it?" "So do you have a boyfriend?" "So are you making a lot of money this summer?" and the rest. Actually, I'm pretty good at blending into the background at family functions, so adding half the lake into the equation should make it very easy.

If in fact we all survive the party, I'll still have no idea where I'm sleeping. I expect it will be on a couch somewhere (actually - hopefully! Better that than the floor!), and will be awakened promptly at 6 am by shrieking children asking me why I am sleeping (SO I DON'T KILL YOU, KTHX).

Shooting fireworks off over the lake is always fun to watch, though. I fully expect that I'll want to leave Sunday instead of Monday, though. We'll see what happens.

Thankfully, Ryan just informed that a certain highway has received a grant and has speed traps set up all over it. Let's just say that the way I drive Up North, this is VERY GOOD TO KNOW. So now the trip will take longer...but I did rent the audio tapes of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, so at least one way up there will be okay. I have read the book before (my first Gaiman experience, :O), which I think helps a lot when listening to audio books.

Current Music: the air conditioning, which I expect I'll miss very much Up North
scribbled mystickeeper at 10:29 AM
5 comments
5 Comments:

I'm surprised that you like Paranoia Agent. The end will be WTF? but it's anime... what do you expect.

By Blogger Unknown, at 5:15 PM, July 02, 2006  

"So I don't kill you, KTHX" should be the response to all questions from all children. Jackie is brilliant.

I suppose it's all right if you bought the last book, since you were already hooked in. You can still maintain a goal to not get "hook in" to buying anymore new books for the summer. While you won't be knighted for you accomplishment, and -while I, on the other hand, probably will go all summer without buying a book- we have to remember that you're Jackie.

To Ryan's comment: Gordon and I haven't finished Paranoia Agent but I've seen the first 15 minutes of almost every episode (at 4 AM before I go to work) and the way it has gone, I'm sure it will in fact be WTF as you say!

By Blogger Steph, at 7:15 PM, July 02, 2006  

Okay, so is it episode 4 where Shonen Bat roleplays with the police officers? Because that was awesome. Maybe that was 5. It reminded me of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Without the borderline-hentai.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 2:20 PM, July 03, 2006  

someone told me to read across the nightingale floor, once.

i guess i should check it out. japan is pretty sweet.

By Blogger uriah heep, at 5:37 PM, July 05, 2006  

Yeah, they are definitely fun.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 10:33 PM, July 05, 2006  

Post a Comment