wJul 6, 2006


Emmy Nominations and other really random things. I should stop blogging when tired.

The list of Emmy nominations was released today, and I do have to admit that I am a bit perturbed by it. Grey's Anatomy got a lot of love, which I do appreciate because I am a fan. I was pleased that Ellen Pompeo wasn't nominated - she's pretty, but I don't think she's a very good actress. At all. Her character is annoying as hell, tooo - she just walks around and whines. All the time. :/ I was kind of upset that the actor who played Denny wasn't nominated (he was really good), while Dylan-the-bomb-squad guy was. Mehhhh.

The West Wing also received some love - but in my opinion, the wrong places. Bradley Whitford was not nominated for Best Supporting Actor, which was really a shame in my opinion. He has been nominated before, and I really thought that his performance this season was the only thing that made the show worth watching, particularly when Leo/John Spencer died. Just about everybody knows how great The West Wing used to be, but this season was mostly full of crappy writing and people who acted grossly out of character. Case in point being Toby. And who gets nominated? Martin Sheen, whose screen time was minimal. I guess some people thought it was 'tragic' because he was finishing his term at the White House, but I didn't find his acting very spectacular at all. Ditto for Alan Alda, who was nominated for best supporting actor. Obviously, Alan Alda is a good actor. I just didn't think he was very good on the show.

But what really perturbed me the most was the treatment of Battlestar Galactica. I know the name makes it sound like a really bad version of Star Trek, but it really isn't. The critics know this. Time magazine named it the best TV show of the year. And yet, the only nominations it got were for costumes (WTF, all they ever wear are flightsuits and jumpsuits, except for Number Six's slutty dresses) and other technical aspects of the show. This treatment is very typical of science fiction movies and TV shows, which I think is very sad. The acting and writing on that show are absolutely phenomenal (duh - otherwise I wouldn't watch it!), and I think it's a crime that they didn't get nominated. Especially when I'm very familiar with some actors who did, such as those from The West Wing. James Callis (Dr. Gaius Baltar) certainly deserved a nomination. Tricia Helfer (Number 6, Gina) definitely did too.
Who the hell votes in Emmy nominations, anyway? Do they actually watch a wide range of television, or just stick to what's safe and comfortable for them?

Oh, well.

Anyway, my life. The weekend spent Up North was good. There was swimming, taking small children through walks and enduring their incessant questions, reading in the sun down on the lake, and spending time with my family. The only thing that really sucked was sleeping on top of floor cushions Saturday night on the floor in my parents' bedroom. The cushion stopped at like, my knees. The fan was blowing directly on me, but it was so hot that it didn't matter, so it was just loud. And in the morning, my dad tripped over my twice and later denied it. Sunday night I slept not much better despite taking my father's place in the bed, since he went home. It was ridiculously hot, even when I turned around and put my head at the foot of the bed, next to the window. I woke up a lot during the night. SUCK.

On the 4th of July, I worked at ShopKo for a little while, and then went to Chad's for his family's annual 4th Party. There was a lot of good food, and I got to talk to many neighbors I haven't spent time with in forever.

This week has been all right. The office was very good today. I just want to read always and forever. Maybe I won't feel so strongly about it when I finally finish Pride & Prejudice, hopefully tomorrow.

I finished watching Paranoia Agent. I watched the last episode with apathy and realized that anime has made me immune to WTF endings. This is probably a valuable skill. You can watch the opening sequence here, by the way, and you should, because the song is great. The sequence is slightly bizarre, but there's symbolism galore, and the added creepy bonus of random characters laughing forever. My favorite character is the first one, on top of the building. My favorite part is at the ending, starting at 1:07.

And I will post those pictures like, before I die.

Why is it that after the 4th of July, everyone is all "Well, it's almost time to go back to school now!" NO, I JUST WANT TO READ BOOKS FOREVER.

Current Music: Paranoia Agent theme
scribbled mystickeeper at 11:04 PM
3 comments
3 Comments:

oh man, what is this injustice.
bsg is so goddamn good.

gaius, oh you card.

do you know how many seaons there are, and how many they're planning on making?

By Blogger uriah heep, at 4:29 AM, July 08, 2006  

Nooooooo not more schoooooooool! NOT FAIR!

By Blogger Tas, at 9:19 AM, July 08, 2006  

Creighton - Borrowing books is always awesome. Although, during the school year, I make no guarantees on how soon you'll get them back, :)

Marc - there are currently 2 seasons. The second season was split in half when sold on DVDs, though. So "Season 2.0" is really the first half of season 2. Season 2.5 won't be released until like, September, I think. However, there is usually 1 episode streaming on SciFi's BSG website, so you might try there and eventually see them all?

Kristen - I KNOW!! OMG, ;_;

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 9:44 AM, July 08, 2006  

Post a Comment