wMay 4, 2006


Beauty and Vigilance

This morning, I had my last Criminal Law & Justice lecture. I must say that it has been an odd experience of a class for me. Hands down, this is one of the best professors I've ever had - Donald Downs. He teaches First Amendment and Constitutional Law too, so if any of you guys need any credits in that sphere, you should definitely take him. Hilarious, ridiculous intelligent, and an eerie photographic memory.
I wish I could say that my grade in the class reflected how much I enjoy it, but I doesn't. This is by far my lowest grade this semester, but I lvoe the class so much that I don't care. Today, at the end of our last lecture, the professor took some time to tell us some things he hoped that we would do with the rest of our lives. Among these things, one was to remember and appreciate beauty. And upon saying that, he invited a grad student into the class room, who played some Bach for us on her viola. She followed it with a Civil War-type song and something else. Her music was absolutely beautiful, and I really can't think of a better way to end a class. Slightly random, yes, but still beautiful. Just prior to the lecture, I had been frantically doing last-minute studying for a final that I took today at 1:00. But after hearing her, I found that I no longer cared.
What do grades mean, really? If I walk out of that classroom with a deeper understanding of and appreciation for not only Criminal Law, but life itself, then who the hell cares what kind of a grade I get? I certainly don't. It would be nice if my grades could reflect how much I've actually learned, but there's really no way to measure that. No matter what happens, I'll graduate with two very rich majors under my belt, and that is no small feat.

Who says Sci-Fi can't sell as high art?

Excerpt from Bram Stoker's Dracula:
"Do you know what day it is?" I answered that it was the fourth of May. She shook her head as she said again:
"Oh, yes! I know that. I know that! but do you know what day it is?" On my saying that I did not understand, she went on:
"It is the eve of St. George's Day. Do you not know that tonight, when the clock strikes midnight, all the evil things in the world will have full sway? Do you know where you are going, and what you are going to?"

What are YOU doing tonight!? I'm only going to the last Sci-Fi club of the year to watch "Galaxy Quest," eat free pizza, and enjoy the company of my fellow geeks. Maybe I'll pocket my Pope-blessed rosary (present from Kristy upon her return from Rome) just in case, D:
I think as long as we don't follow Jonathan Harker's example and set off for Castle Dracula, we'll turn out all right.

Current Music: Mr. Brightside - The Killers
scribbled mystickeeper at 5:04 PM
3 comments
3 Comments:

The freecomicbookday.com thing is awesome.

A trip to Westfield Comics might be a needed break from studying on Saturday...

:)

By Blogger Louise, at 1:24 AM, May 05, 2006  

whahaha... I'm considering a trip there myself... I hope it's packed, those guys are awesome.

if it helps, we read a scifi book in one of my english classes. so scifi CAN be high art, damnit!

By Blogger Gretchen, at 7:56 AM, May 05, 2006  

They did say it's at Capital City Comics, too, which is closer. I'm okay with it either way.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 8:08 AM, May 05, 2006  

Post a Comment